I have lice. =(

Jferlisi

i dont eat chicken!!!!
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Menifee CA
So today i was out messing with the girls and picked up my girl marge. (she is 1 of 3 that will let me hold her. lol)

And i noticed she had lice eggs on her feathers around her earlobes. So i thought great, so i looked her all over and she has them bad, i dont know how i didn't notice them before, poor marge she must hate me now. So i dusted her with DE and seperated her from her silkie buddies. She is very much a loaner and doesn't hang out with anyone and runs if they get to close. The other silkies sleep on the roost and she sleeps in a box. I dusted the coop anyway and the box. I will dust the other silkies tonight when i can get them on there roosts. =) Is there anything else i should be doing? I did catch one as she walked into the coop and looked her all over and nothing. I will still dust as a precaution. Marge has not started laying and the roo doesn't get to her. I was going to give her a bath tomorrow cause her feet are a little dirty. Should i still do this or no? Any info will be great thanks.
ETA - Pic wouldn't so so edited to show it.

Last edited:
Hopefully someone else will chip in on this, but I would try ivermectin, applied topically. It should get rid of the lice as well as internal parasites.

I just got over a bad case of lice a few weeks ago myself.
Chances are your other chickens have it as well if she is that badly infested. It took me three times of checking my other hens to find it on them after I found the first one.

I tried dusting mine with DE for two weeks and it definitely helped, but it did not clear them. I ultimately bought some permethrin spray 0.50% and it cleared them up right away. Now I dust nesting boxes with DE as a preventative. It's much easier to apply then DE and works much faster.

its hard to keep sevin dust on a chicken long enough to kill them but it works good for their coop and run. dipping the chickens kills the lice and the eggs on them and any that may get back on them before the sevin dust kills them in the lot

It's hard to keep ANY dust on chickens long enough for it to be effective. When you put them down they will immediately spread apart their feathers and shake off. It's rather annoying, actually.

My dad told me that his mother used to dip her chickens. (This would be around 1940's). I would like to do this too because I know it would be more effective. How do you go about catching all your chickens and doing this? Some of my girls are really skittish and won't let me catch them.

get some chick-n -dip, fix a 5 gal bucket half full and dip all your chickens

get some chick-n -dip, fix a 5 gal bucket half full and dip all your chickens

Where do you get chick-n-dip? I googled it, but it didn't come up with anything. What is it exactly? How do you dip them? Head first? Feet first? Inquiring minds want to know. lol

Either catch them roosting or what I do is used a large fishing net.

My dad told me that his mother used to dip her chickens. (This would be around 1940's). I would like to do this too because I know it would be more effective. How do you go about catching all your chickens and doing this? Some of my girls are really skittish and won't let me catch them.

Back
Top Bottom