I have lost 10 chickens in 4 years

Pics

AngelicaRoss

Songster
6 Years
Jun 7, 2017
I have had chickens for 4 years, 24 chickens all together. I've lost 10 in that 4 years.

2 under a year to I think liver ruptures
1 a year to a liver rupture (was necropsied) none that died were overweight
1- (3 years) old to cancer
1 (2 years) to an egg breaking inside her
1 (3 years) to unknown illness
1 (4 years) to possible cancer (had been laying lash eggs for a year)
1 (4 years) to a severe prolapse
1 (3 years) to cancer (last week)
1 (3 years) to unknown illness (last night)

And I have a sick bird pooing out yellow liquid but seems better than she was.

I know they all have different symptoms but am I doing something wrong? Is this normal? I scoop their poop daily. They only free range an hour or so a day then stay in a large pen. They get organic feed and fermented feed, minimal snacks. I feel horrible and guilty. They very quickly became my pets and I really wish I'd never gotten chickens.

Are chickens born and raised by a mother hen on your property less likely to get diseases? I have hatched 3 birds here and they seem to be very healthy.

Realistically some birds/breeds have relatively short life spans. A general rule of thumb is the greater the growth or production rate the shorter the life span.
They were Australorps, mixed breed and a Dominique. All of the pretty books and web sites lie then when they say chickens live 8 or more years. I guess it's time to give up on having chickens.

I have had chickens for 4 years, 24 chickens all together. I've lost 10 in that 4 years.

2 under a year to I think liver ruptures
1 a year to a liver rupture (was necropsied) none that died were overweight
1- (3 years) old to cancer
1 (2 years) to an egg breaking inside her
1 (3 years) to unknown illness
1 (4 years) to possible cancer (had been laying lash eggs for a year)
1 (4 years) to a severe prolapse
1 (3 years) to cancer (last week)
1 (3 years) to unknown illness (last night)

And I have a sick bird pooing out yellow liquid but seems better than she was.

I know they all have different symptoms but am I doing something wrong? Is this normal? I scoop their poop daily. They only free range an hour or so a day then stay in a large pen. They get organic feed and fermented feed, minimal snacks. I feel horrible and guilty. They very quickly became my pets and I really wish I'd never gotten chickens.

Are chickens born and raised by a mother hen on your property less likely to get diseases? I have hatched 3 birds here and they seem to be very healthy.
How much protein do you feed? Layer feed or All flock? Do you provide oyster shells on the side? I have had 5 losses in 6 years, more losses after I started free ranging.

How much protein do you feed? Layer feed or All flock? Do you provide oyster shells on the side? I have had 5 losses in 6 years, more losses after I started free ranging.
I feed Nature's Best layer feed 16% and 2 canning jars of fermented Scratch and Peck 16% a day. They get oyster shells. They only free range for an hour or two a morning when I'm out with them. I guess the more you have the more you lose.

Back
Top Bottom