I have lost 10 chickens in 4 years

Of all the chickens that died, which were the ones with issues? Were they all from the same source? Or was it a combination?

Also, are you in an area with heavy pesticide use? Poor water supply? High manure runoff into nearby streams? Having that many birds with cancer sounds like there could be an environmental issue not related to anything you are doing.

Of all the chickens that died, which were the ones with issues? Were they all from the same source? Or was it a combination?

Also, are you in an area with heavy pesticide use? Poor water supply? High manure runoff into nearby streams? Having that many birds with cancer sounds like there could be an environmental issue not related to anything you are doing.
I was thinking this, too. What do you feed them? What water do you use? Do they free range at all?

Egg shells are great to feed back, but they will need oyster shell, too. I keep it in a separate feeding bowl, and mix the shells and oyster together so they can choose what they want.

2 birds that I know of had cancer. We have well water that's tested. No pesticides sprayed in the area. No manure run off. They do drink any standing water they find outside.
I had 6 of my original 12 australorps die. 3 have died from a barnyard mix and 1 Dominique I bought last year as a 2 year old. I do live in the woods and wild life intermingle with the chickens.

I was thinking this, too. What do you feed them? What water do you use? Do they free range at all?

Egg shells are great to feed back, but they will need oyster shell, too. I keep it in a separate feeding bowl, and mix the shells and oyster together so they can choose what they want.
Water from our well, Natures Best feed, fermented scratch and peck. Oyster shells. I throw eggshells in the compost and some of them eat them there.
They free range for an hour or two in the morning when I'm out.

Midcoast Maine

Check NPIP website. Click on your state to get a list. There are 7 pages for ME.

Heres the map page:
http://www.poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm

Here's the doc for ME:
http://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/me.pdf

So, it looks confusing....but, the codes listed on the right side of the document refer to breeds. Here is the listing for breeds (which is located on the left side of the NPIP website).
http://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/Stock-Codes-Alphabetical-5-6-2021.pdf

You want the sections that begin with "R" for regular chicken breeds (regular size) or the codes that begin with "W" for Bantam sized. Of course, you may just be interested in finding a source near you, and the breed choices are less important.

Other option is to search fb for farm pages in your area. They cannot sell on fb, but a farm can have a page, notify people of events, etc. Based on pics, you may find one that will sell chickens.

Check NPIP website. Click on your state to get a list. There are 7 pages for ME.

Heres the map page:
http://www.poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm

Here's the doc for ME:
http://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/me.pdf

So, it looks confusing....but, the codes listed on the right side of the document refer to breeds. Here is the listing for breeds (which is located on the left side of the NPIP website).
http://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/Stock-Codes-Alphabetical-5-6-2021.pdf

You want the sections that begin with "R" for regular chicken breeds (regular size) or the codes that begin with "W" for Bantam sized. Of course, you may just be interested in finding a source near you, and the breed choices are less important.

Other option is to search fb for farm pages in your area. They cannot sell on fb, but a farm can have a page, notify people of events, etc. Based on pics, you may find one that will sell chickens.
Thank you but I will stick with the birds I have until they die off. Then I'm done.

I've lost 20 birds this year. No predators, just dead. Most were over 3 years, 2 were over 8 years. I think only 3 were young hens. It happens. Sometimes chickens just die, or fail to thrive. In the previous 3 years, I lost 4 birds total, so maybe this year was just THE year. I love my hens and roosters, and I feel, that no matter how long their lifespan is going to be, they will be happy, occupied and well fed.

Thank you but I will stick with the birds I have until they die off. Then I'm done.
I totally understand how you feel! I started my flock about 4 or 5 years ago and my chickens are my pets. I take them to the vet when they’re sick which has been very expensive. I keep their coop incredibly clean. I’ve had to rehome a few unexpected roosters and have driven over an hour to deliver and make sure their new home was up to my standards. Invested in aviary netting to protect them from the large hawk population in my area. Give them frozen treats and watermelon on days when it’s unbearably hot. Made sure they get very high quality feed. Ect. It has been devastating when I loose one to illness. I’ve learned so much over these years though. I know how to tube feed, give injections, give pills, get rid of mites, what to do for worms, and how to treat and bandage a bumble foot. I even tried an implant on a hen with consistent laying issues.
Despite all these efforts and the amount of work put into them, I’ve still had many losses. Necropsies at my state lab have resulted in things like renal failure, cancer, reproductive organ infections, and even have been inconclusive once or twice.
I can honestly say I have been extremely diligent in researching, educating myself, and have done everything in my power to give them the best home possible. It kills me to see them sick or suffering. I already regret the 8 new chicks I got this past fall because I’ve already become so attached to many of them. It’s hard to resist developing those feelings when they follow me around like a shadow and gather around and fight to see who gets to sit on my lap or beside me. I don’t care what anyone says, in my experience chickens are definitely affectionate and develop complex relationships. But, as much as I have loved having them, I’m on the same page as you. You are not alone in how you feel. When my current feathered babies pass, that’s it. No more.

Back
Top Bottom