I have lost 13 birds in 3 nights!**UPDATE** POST #1

I'm sure you're frustrated with the many reports of predation that might have been prevented. It's distressing but please remember that there are over 40,000 members of this forum and what you're seeing is a small fraction of that. Most people do everything they can within reason and I personally wouldn't ask anyone else to do more than they can. Although I can feel some of your frustration, I agree with her; you shouldn't be judging what you can't see and she's already said she's working to improve the safety situation of her remaining chickens. She really didn't need harsh criticism right now. Your frustrations might be better voiced in another thread a little later. She obviously loves her chickens and we have no idea what she's able to do at this point or earlier. She obviously felt they were safe given her circumstances.
Something has also obviously changed in the predator situation after a whole year and since she wasn't able to see the predator in the act, that also means she probably didn't have any warning. No resident predator that I know of is going to wait a year before trying for a chicken; they're just too attractive.
What's an appropriate pen in one situation may not be in another; she's right, we shouldn't judge her situation without full knowledge of the situation and even then, now is not the time for criticism; it's the time for support. Think about how you'd feel if somehow something similar happened to you. Please be as supportive of her as you would like others to be of you.

I, too, have lost several of my beloved chickens this last week to DAYTIME raids by raccoons. My babies are locked up tight at 7:00 p.m. every night in coops and stay in my fenced-in back yard during the day. They have been safe for the two years we have lived here!

Do not chastise me for not taking precautions. Their nighttime coops are predator-proof. Most of the nine chickens I lost disappeared between 4:30 and 5:30 p.m. One disappeared at approximately 2:00 p.m. I hired a trapper who came out and found coon tracks and remains of my chickens and verified a raccoon attack. He feels it/they are rabid because the killing is being done so early during the day.

Sweet Cheeks, I do my best to protect my loved ones and will continue to do so. There are many things in my life that I would change if I could go back. Life (and death) happens no matter how careful you are. I am not a careless chicken owner and resent the implication that I am.

Quote:
I agree 100%! I love
love.gif
my chickens and care for them very much. Sweet Cheeks, You don't know the situation, in either case. We should all be supportive of each other in our time of needs! Not say/type hurtful things.
I read of a lady who her chicks got eaten by her dogs, cause the mailman just put the box of chicks on her doorstep! I felt so badly for her and understood her loss, even if other measures could have been taken, stuff happens and there is no reason to place blame. I contacted her and sent her some eggs from my flock! You learn from mistakes and unfortunate happenings and try to do it better the next time.

I do everything possible to prevent loss to predation but that will not keep your chickens safe. My wife goes in to feed or water the chickens and one gets out and the dog gets it or they are free ranging and the cat gets one. All we can do is try to keep them safe. DO NOT blame yourself. Predators do exactly what their name says. they prey on other animals and most of them are VERY good at what they do. This coming from a man who has said 6 times "they are just chickens" right before digging a deep hole and burying them with a marker on their grave.
hmm.png

Everyone needs to remember that there are 40,000 people on this forum. When you post something like this you will hear all sides. There is no reason to take offense, just hear what you want and leave the rest. No sense in arguing with someone whos thoughts are not what you intended.
If you can't let things slide, maybe it would be wise to just pm people instead of opening yourself up to 40,000 people with 40,000 different opinions!

So sorry to hear about your babies.
I,too, live in florida. (gainesville). Be prepared for a much bigger predator than you are expecting. although fox is very likely-coyote would be my guess.
I've lost 2 hens to them right at dusk, 5 minutes before i was coming to put them up for the night.
I lost another hen and my roo to a neighborhood dog that had gotten loose. that's when i stopped letting them out while i was at work.
I was so upset by their loss, and i feel your pain as well.
hopefully you'll have some new babies soon.

Back
Top Bottom