I have lost my mind..

anderstr196

Songster
Nov 12, 2018
NW Alabama
I’m a complete newbie to raising chickens but when I finally have my brooder all set, the plans and supplies to build my coop, I have to redo my coop plans because I just accumulated 24 chicks in a week! In my defense, I only ordered 8 silkies and bought 4 polish, 2 Silver Phoenix, and 2 blue Sumatra’s from the feed store... the other 8 are the extras sent from the hatchery with my silkies (I don’t even know what they are lol). My brooder had to be extended and I need more wood for a bigger coop. Thank goodness we have over 20 acres and the neighbors are far enough away because I have a feeling this is the beginning of a new obsession for me

Attachments

• D06C710F-A3C8-4A22-8BB5-74F501CF8703.jpeg
    D06C710F-A3C8-4A22-8BB5-74F501CF8703.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 13

AnimalGeek23

Crowing
Apr 10, 2018
New York State
I’m a complete newbie to raising chickens but when I finally have my brooder all set, the plans and supplies to build my coop, I have to redo my coop plans because I just accumulated 24 chicks in a week! In my defense, I only ordered 8 silkies and bought 4 polish, 2 Silver Phoenix, and 2 blue Sumatra’s from the feed store... the other 8 are the extras sent from the hatchery with my silkies (I don’t even know what they are lol). My brooder had to be extended and I need more wood for a bigger coop. Thank goodness we have over 20 acres and the neighbors are far enough away because I have a feeling this is the beginning of a new obsession for me
Ahh, you're chickaholic now. Happens to everyone. :)

SomeChickinTN

Songster
Nov 19, 2018
E TN
I feel your pain, lol. My coop is still not ready, and my run is not built yet. I have 5 in the brooder, and ten hens being given to me when the coop is done. And I'm already thinking about spring. I think I am going to forever wrestle with wanting another pretty chicken, and needing more space or already having too many eggs. I'll have the Winchester house of chicken coops, lol.

Shadrach

Roosterist
Jul 31, 2018
Catalonia, Spain
My Coop
My Coop
The extras may well be what are called packers. They may well turn out to be males.
You might research a bit about how packers are used by the hatchery industry.

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Wyoming
I think @Shadrach has a good point...the extras may turn out to be males (aka: packing peanuts). Best have a plan B in mind if you don't want or need boys!

Top Bottom