I have lots of questions ....

Roberta67

Hatching
8 Years
May 11, 2011
Saint Cloud Florida
So since getting the male goose I figured there were enough shelter areas outside between the goat barn and the feed barn that he would find shelter on his own. He seems to just like to be out in the middle of the yard and at night he sleeps next to the goats. I worry about hurricane season and if we get something if he will know to go into the barn on his own???

Right now he just wanders about the yard. My husband is frustrated with him though because he trieds to follow us out of the gate when we go out and when we get back home he high tales it for the gate when he sees us and it's a race to see who can make the gate faster. My husband wants me to contain him to the back yard which is where his pool is and he still has half an acre back there to roam about on. I just like letting him have his free range.
Since I will have the little girls turned out with him in about 2 months or less, should I make a shelter for them or will they just find their own place when they need it?

They should have their own lil run to call home and to go into at night for protection from predators. And as far a him following your hubby to the gate it sounds like he has imprinted him as his daddy. He won't stop unless you get him locked up so he cant or you get him another distraction. hope this helps a little.
T.

Ok, I can make something up for them to go into at night. Do I need to put them in there if they don't want to go in on their own at first? Actually the goose follows anyone to the gate. We all make a mad dash. But now that he's adopted the babies in the barn he doesnt come out of there so we are good for now.

With just one goose you could give him a dog house or something, we use old squash bins and add a door. I know my ducks go into their house every night to be safe, we just go out and shut thier door for them... because they haven't learned that yet
wink.png
. We did have to herd them at first but maybe you could coax your guy by offering a little cat food and putting it in his hut? After a little while he'll go in on his own. In the case of a hurricane I have no experience with this but mine always go into their house the minute they feel threatened. If he's not safe to free range I would imagine he would find himself some shelter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom