I have new babies. How do I work with them to make them tame adults?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alanaartist, Jul 13, 2010.

1. alanaartist

alanaartist New Egg

Jul 13, 2010
    I am the proud new mama of three baby silkies. I got them at one day old and they will be two weeks old in two days. Although I have been reading voraciously on how to make them happy chickens and even bought books, I cannot find anywhere how to start from day one to make them tame as adults.

I know Silkies are naturally sweet...that's a plus.

I am not sure how much I should handle them. I have been picking each one up one at a time for just a minute or two once or twice a day...I pick them up, they aren't happy and when they get too unhappy and flap their wings I put them back. Since they do run in the large dog crate I have as their brooder when I open the door and try to pick one up, I feel bad and don't want them to become afraid of me and garner the opposite effect that I am desiring.

I know I am not supposed to be giving them anything but their starter food right now but a couple of times just to associate me with not being the "evil-pickerupper" I have tried a few things I have read I can give them now...ground carrots, chopped up boiled egg. They have no interest. Apparently the starter I am giving them is 5 star cuisine on it's own.

Any tips? Should I wait for trying to domesticate the babies? I can't find a difinitive answer. I only open the crate door and hold them right by the opening so they quickly go back in after handling them for a minute. I do put them right up to me though. I also talk to them through the crate often.

Also, the crate is in my livingroom right now and my better half seems to think the tv being loud won't bother them as much as I worry it will. Any thoughts there?

I read one post where someone said she tried to tame her rooster by turning it over? What does that mean?

Finally, what is the best feeder for when they go to the coop? They sure love to try to throw it around and I was thinking the kind that hang but wanted opinions.

Thanks!!

Alana

2. CallyB57

CallyB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    All you gotta do is hold 'em and kiss 'em and squeeze 'em and love 'em
    Yeah, just do it and after you do..
    You will be theirs.

I heard those lyrics somewhere before...anyway, that's how I got mine to love me.

3. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep. Lot of attention every day for each one. They will eventually get the idea that you're not going to hurt them. Once mine reached the squatting age they were easier to pet also.

4. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    And if they aren't yet interested in treats, try feeding some starter out of your hand. That way, they start to associate you with food. Treats are tricky at first- they will be suspicious of anything that isn't familiar. Try mixing a little feed in with the chopped egg or whatever. Once they decide it's food, they will go for it all the time. Mine are 7 weeks old now and run to the front of the run or into the coop whenever I get near them. But then, they know they will most likely get raisins from me... [​IMG]

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I have my taming method on my BYC page. Try it - it works for lots of us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by