I have new chicks! Come follow as they grow.

In that case, there's not much point in putting them in, since they are free to come out again. Either put them in and shut it every night until they learn, or just accept that they will sleep wherever they want.

I thought you were trying to get them to sleep inside for safety (secure coop, insecure run.) But I was obviously wrong there.

Does the secure run have a solid roof? If so, it's probably fine to let them sleep there all year if they want to. If it doesn't have a solid roof, I can see that letting them sleep out in the rain could be a problem.
That's what I thought and yes it has a solid roof and a hardware cloth base with dead sod over it.
I agree that chickens do not need to eat during the night.

But is the rest of your statement meant to apply specifically to OP, or to all chicken keepers? (I don't remember where OP lives.)

If you mean it to apply to all chicken keepers, I say it is wrong for many of them.

I live in the USA, which has many areas where chickens spend all day inside the coop during the winter. In those conditions, the coop needs to be large enough for them to spend their time while they are awake, and it also needs to have food and water inside.

There are many good ways to house chickens, and no method is "best" in all climates, so what you suggest may be good in your climate and some others. But I've always lived in places where a chicken coop DOES need to be big enough for food, water, and daytime activities.
I'm in Florida

I agree that chickens do not need to eat during the night.

But is the rest of your statement meant to apply specifically to OP, or to all chicken keepers? (I don't remember where OP lives.)

If you mean it to apply to all chicken keepers, I say it is wrong for many of them.

I live in the USA, which has many areas where chickens spend all day inside the coop during the winter. In those conditions, the coop needs to be large enough for them to spend their time while they are awake, and it also needs to have food and water inside.

There are many good ways to house chickens, and no method is "best" in all climates, so what you suggest may be good in your climate and some others. But I've always lived in places where a chicken coop DOES need to be big enough for food, water, and daytime activities.
I get that, of course every place and every climate is different and yes I misspoke by using a blanket statement, but I also disagree with keeping chickens in their coop for an entire season. Would a properly covered run not be more suitable?

Is limiting a chickens space for an entire season not against what so many here stand for? If space guidelines suggest that you should have 10sqft per bird in your run, is your coop this size? I mean nothing by all this, I'm just spitballing. I don't keep chickens, nor have any plans to at the moment, but I wouldn't personally want to keep them cooped up for an entire season.

I get that, of course every place and every climate is different and yes I misspoke by using a blanket statement
I have no argument with that :)

but I also disagree with keeping chickens in their coop for an entire season. Would a properly covered run not be more suitable?
If that "covered run" has a roof and all the sides are covered (except for ventilation), I don't see how it's any different than a "coop." Either one is covered, has the walls mostly covered, and is supposed to have enough ventilation.

Is limiting a chickens space for an entire season not against what so many here stand for?
I don't know about what people stand for, but MOST chickens have their space limited to some extent-- coop, run, perimeter fence, etc.

If space guidelines suggest that you should have 10sqft per bird in your run, is your coop this size? I mean nothing by all this, I'm just spitballing. I don't keep chickens, nor have any plans to at the moment, but I wouldn't personally want to keep them cooped up for an entire season.
In some climates, people have no choice.
That's why some of us have strong views that coops need to be large enough.

A coop size of 4 square feet per chicken is usually enough that they can spend all winter inside without major issues, although of course more space is always better. Yes, a coop of 10 square feet per chicken would be a good idea in places with long winters.

Just having a bigger coop helps, even if the chickens have the same amount of space per chicken. So 36 chickens in a 12x12 foot space do not seem as cramped as 2 chickens in a 2x4 foot space, even though they have the same amount of space per chicken. The larger area lets them re-arrange themselves a lot more ways. (I know that not everyone can have a very big coop, just pointing it out as an example of how space seems to change.)

In that case, your chickens probably can go outside every day, and don't need such a big coop as they would in some other climates :)
Yes, it only gets usually mid-high 50 in the cold days in winter and rarely (3-4 nights) low 40s. I have a coop heater for those 3 or 4 days since they aren't used to that.
I have no argument with that :)

If that "covered run" has a roof and all the sides are covered (except for ventilation), I don't see how it's any different than a "coop." Either one is covered, has the walls mostly covered, and is supposed to have enough ventilation.
It is solid roof with hardware cloth sides
I don't know about what people stand for, but MOST chickens have their space limited to some extent-- coop, run, perimeter fence, etc.
Exactly, mine have to stay in the run all the time, we have MANY predators on our and around our property.
In some climates, people have no choice.
That's why some of us have strong views that coops need to be large enough.

A coop size of 4 square feet per chicken is usually enough that they can spend all winter inside without major issues, although of course more space is always better. Yes, a coop of 10 square feet per chicken would be a good idea in places with long winters.

Just having a bigger coop helps, even if the chickens have the same amount of space per chicken. So 36 chickens in a 12x12 foot space do not seem as cramped as 2 chickens in a 2x4 foot space, even though they have the same amount of space per chicken. The larger area lets them re-arrange themselves a lot more ways. (I know that not everyone can have a very big coop, just pointing it out as an example of how space seems to change.)
Like people far north who have -20, they aren't gonna let the chickens out in that

I'm just here to agree with you

And back on topic, here are the pictures everyone wanted
Lilly currently a mystery chick
20220821_115851.jpg
Susie buff orp
20220821_115901.jpg
pumpkin cinnamon queen
20220821_115831.jpg
and Sofia sapphire gem
20220821_115828.jpg

@Idaho Chicken Bungalow and @WIchickMama I know you both asked for pictures. You can't really see on here but Lilly has alot of beautiful light Grey tail feathers. They are all so big and cute

And back on topic, here are the pictures everyone wanted
Lilly currently a mystery chick
View attachment 3230683Susie buff orp View attachment 3230684pumpkin cinnamon queen View attachment 3230685and Sofia sapphire gemView attachment 3230687

@Idaho Chicken Bungalow and @WIchickMama I know you both asked for pictures. You can't really see on here but Lilly has alot of beautiful light Grey tail feathers. They are all so big and cute
Wow! They grew up so fast! Lily is gorgeous!

Like people far north who have -20, they aren't gonna let the chickens out in that

I'm just here to agree with you
Well, I leave the doors open so they can go if they want. But they usually keep themselves put away if the snow isn't flattened. They learn quickly its not fun jumping down a roost and then falling into snow piles

Back
Top Bottom