I have new chicks! Come follow as they grow.

Pics

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
Sooooooo............ yesterday we had to take a hour and a half trip to  Rural King to get some stall fans and gates as they were much cheaper over there. I had got my first chicks there and was excited to see what they had even though I wasn't going to get any. So we shoped around and then we came upon the chicks. I am planning to do 2 incubation one with bantam blue laced red wyandottes and seramas, and another one with porcelain and mille fluer d'uccles, the first hatch in mid to late August, but then I saw the chicks and the buff Orpington chicks and the sapphire gem chicks and I got chick fever 😆. So after much thinking and choosing we picked out 1 buff Orpington, 1 sapphire gem and 2 cinnamon queens. We finally got home at 9:30 at night and I quickly stopped by the farm and got my supplies and I just bought chick feed for my pullets who are just getting off it so I had some. I cleaned the feeder, waterer, and brooder plate and quickly set up the brooder (aka my bathtub 🤣). They slept under the heat plate all night and this morning are eating, drinking and being chicks. They are eating Purina start and grow and there water has electrolytes. Probiotics and nutra-drench. So I broke my first rule of chickens and impulse bought, but I don't regret it. I said no more large fowl but I bought 4 and I love them. If you have chicks join in, this can be a raise-a-long where you can share pics and ask questions about your chicks. I will be updating this thread with pictures and info about them as they grow.
@Quarterhorses1 @Idaho Chicken Bungalow @WIchickMama .

Susie the buff Orpington(below)
20220719_095628.jpg

Pumpkin cinnamon queen(below)
20220719_095709.jpg

Cinnamon the cinnamon queen (below)
20220719_095756.jpg
and last but certainly not least, Sofia the sapphire gem (below)
20220719_095450.jpg
and all of them on the way home
20220718_213145.jpg

Last edited:
Awww! Super cute chickies! I actually had an incident like this about a week ago. My family was getting back from our trip and we needed to stop by tractor supply to get feed for our chickens awaiting us at home. I go in there not even having the mindset of getting more chickens because I have alot already. But....they had blue laced red wyandottes and Easter eggers. I got 4 Easter eggers! Their names are Junebug, Hazzelnut, Butterscotch, and Arwen.

Attachments

• 20220719_091659.jpg
    20220719_091659.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 12
Sooooooo............ yesterday we had to take a hour and a half trip to  Rural King to get some stall fans and gates as they were much cheaper over there. I had got my first chicks there and was excited to see what they had even though I wasn't going to get any. So we shoped around and then we came upon the chicks. I was planning to do 2 incubation one with bantam blue laced red wyandottes and seramas, and another one with porcelain and mille fluer d'uccles, the first hatch in mid to late August but then I saw the blue laced red Wyandotte chicks and the buff Orpington chicks and the sapphire gem chicks and got chick fever 😆. So after much thinking and choosing we picked out 1 buff Orpington, 1 sapphire gem and 2 blue laced red Wyandottes! We finally got home at 9:30 at night and I quickly stopped by the farm and got my supplies and I just bought chick feed for my pullets who are just getting off it so I had some. I cleaned the feeder, waterer, and brooder plate and quickly set up the brooder (aka my bathtub 🤣). They slept under the heat plate all night and this morning are eating, drinking and being chicks. They are eating Purina start and grow and there water has electrolytes. Probiotics and nutra-drench. So I broke my first rule of chickens and impulse bought, but I don't regret it. I said no more large fowl but I bought 4 and I love them. I am still going to do a incubation but only once and the eggs will be serama and the d'uccles. If you have chicks join in, this can be a raise-a-long where you can share pics and ask questions about your chicks. I will be updating this thread with pictures and info about them as they grow.
@Quarterhorses1 @Idaho Chicken Bungalow @WIchickMama .

Susie the buff Orpington(below) View attachment 3191988
Trudy the blue laced red Wyandotte (below)View attachment 3191992
Maisie the blue laced red Wyandotte (below) she was named foe a pullet that passed, one of my first chicks. View attachment 3191994and last but certainly not least, Sofia the sapphire gem (below) View attachment 3191997and all of them on the way homeView attachment 3191996
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :wee :love:ya

I would not have expected Blue Laced Red Wyandotte chicks to look like that, so I will be watching to see how they develop as they grow.

Maybe they are Splash Laced rather than actual Blue Laced? That would account for how light their color is.
Well I knew somebody was going to say that 🙄 all of the chicks in that bin were the same color some the red was slightly lighter but not much. If they turn out to be splashed that's fine with me. I am questioning their Combs because they look like straight comes right now instead of rose but again every chick in the bin had a straight looking come so maybe they will grow out of it. I don't really care they're just pets I still love them to death

Amberlinks are not sexed by color they are sexed by wing feather length as day Olds so it's to late for sexing by the sexlink
If they can be feather-sexed at 1 day old, they can be feather-sexed more easily at 4 weeks.
All of yours are fast-feathering.
Any slow-feathering chicks would look half-naked at this age (slight exaggeration, but not much.)

When feathering speed is used for sexlinks, females get the fast feathering and males get the slow feathering. Since all of yours have fast feathering, there are no feather-sexable males in the group. (I can't rule out other males, just ruling out feather-sexable ones.)

Here is a thread that shows examples of chicks at 3.5 weeks, growing feathers at different speeds:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...vs-fast-feathering-genetic-questions.1088977/
The difference continues to get more obvious with age for several weeks past the ones in that thread.

Slow feathering chicks can even look like the 6-week ones in this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chocolate-orpington.1528406/

Awww! Super cute chickies! I actually had an incident like this about a week ago. My family was getting back from our trip and we needed to stop by tractor supply to get feed for our chickens awaiting us at home. I go in there not even having the mindset of getting more chickens because I have alot already. But....they had blue laced red wyandottes and Easter eggers. I got 4 Easter eggers! Their names are Junebug, Hazzelnut, Butterscotch, and Arwen.
Ahhh so cute 😍 congratulations 🎊. I definitely don't need more buuuuut......life's to short, buy the chicks

Beautiful babies, Wyandotte's are so adorable I had one, but sadly had to rehome her due to her aggressive nature. Everytime I go to rule king I have to remind myself I’m at the limit of chickens I can have due to law, if I didn’t have restrictions I probably couldn’t resist getting all those adorable fluffy raptors 😊
I love getting chicks, I probably shouldn't have got them logically but how can you think logically when the little fluffs are looking at you. Well I will definitely have enough layers now. I have 45 eggs on the counter already and 8 layers right now so I really need to give some to the neighbors

Back
Top Bottom