I have no clue what this could be!

Kkoleckar

Chirping
Mar 13, 2024
hello! So I have 13 chicks that are about 5.5 weeks old that I got through tsc (assorted colored egg layers) I can sorta tell what most of them are based on what the options are in that assortment except for one. I’d never seen a chicken with these colors before. It’s almost like a Mille fluer duccle but not bantam and no leg feathers???? I’m so curious what yall think!

Attachments

• IMG_4992.jpeg
    IMG_4992.jpeg
    579.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4995.jpeg
    IMG_4995.jpeg
    773.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4970.jpeg
    IMG_4970.jpeg
    554.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4953.jpeg
    IMG_4953.jpeg
    801 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4948.jpeg
    IMG_4948.jpeg
    743.8 KB · Views: 18
hello! So I have 13 chicks that are about 5.5 weeks old that I got through tsc (assorted colored egg layers) I can sorta tell what most of them are based on what the options are in that assortment except for one. I’d never seen a chicken with these colors before. It’s almost like a Mille fluer duccle but not bantam and no leg feathers???? I’m so curious what yall think!
Well whatever they are they are very pretty!

Possibly a Speckled Sussex? I don't think it looks quite right, but that is one breed that has mottling (like what Mille Fleurs do) while being standard sized (not bantam.)

It might also grow up to be a solid red or brown color. I've seen quite a few chickens with various dark and light parts in their feathers when young, but as adult they look solid red. (Examples could include Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire or Buckeye or Production Red: any of those types can have quite a bit of patterning when they are young. I think it's like spots on fawns, that disappear when they grow into adult deer. Some of the egg-laying hybrids can also have that kind of change in their coloring as they grow.)

Possibly a Speckled Sussex? I don't think it looks quite right, but that is one breed that has mottling (like what Mille Fleurs do) while being standard sized (not bantam.)

It might also grow up to be a solid red or brown color. I've seen quite a few chickens with various dark and light parts in their feathers when young, but as adult they look solid red. (Examples could include Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire or Buckeye or Production Red: any of those types can have quite a bit of patterning when they are young. I think it's like spots on fawns, that disappear when they grow into adult deer. Some of the egg-laying hybrids can also have that kind of change in their coloring as they grow.)
Oh wow! Good to know. Either way I think I got an odd ball one out of my bakers dozen lol. She turned out to be my favorite as far as color surprises. I’m pretty sure I ended up with a roo in the bunch as well

Back
Top Bottom