I have no clue what to do with these degus........

Quote:
Corn is good, just avoid the food where its got molasas mixed in, raisins, etc...

There are no books out there to help, we just did the google thing, and went from there. If you got them young you shouldnt have 40 within a year, my two girls took almost a year before they started having babies. Took those to pet store, then with second set of babies 3 each time, I joked that I wanted to take whole family to pet store, the pet store Manager said sure, so that is how I got out of Degues, traded for 3 girl gerbils, so far no babies.
fl.gif

Thanx Marlin. I 'preciate the info. I have no clue how old mine are.They do appear to be adults tho.I also have no clue what genders i have. Do moms have to be seperated to protect the young form the other goos if she drops ? I read somewheres that these critters can and will have large litters once they mature?

From what folks have been tellin me. These things aren't even allowed to be in Pa. Maybe they need to go to Rogers Ohio.

Quote:
Hey sc, i bread snakes for many many years and have found more often that not that they can and will become addicted to hampsters and gerbils and refuse to eat anything else. Also, if either of these critters are big enough they WILL fight back and do serious dammage to a snake dependin on the kind and size. Be carefull with yer friends snake.

Oh, she no longer has the snake. That was a number of years ago. The snake took them as pinkies so no bite problems. We spaced out the normal frozen pinkies with these so that it would not get used to "fresh" food.

I'm pretty far away from PA, other wise I'd take them in a heartbeat! One really good thing about degus, they have small litters, and will typically only breed twice per year. They do not reach sexual maturity until they are 8 months to a year old (and hence, babies can stay with parents until then, it is best to seperate at 6 months though). Out of my pair, and over 3 years, I maybe had 8 babies from 4 litters. They can have as few as one and as many as 6 (I think the record is 9, but only 2 of those lived). Degus are born with fur, teeth, and open eyes. They can eat small amounts of solid food on the day they are born and only nurse once or twice per day. They are not weaned for 3-4 months, and during that time, mom will not allow dad to breed with her.

It is really hard to tell their gender unless you have experience with them though, lol. Just look, nothing like you've ever seen before......lol

Em

Forgot to add, any pet store who sells exotics, degus included, must have a USDA license that is renewed every year, otherwise they are selling animals illegally. This is wether they breed their own or even give them away. Just having them inside of the store as the store's property is illegal if they do not have a license.

Individuals can have up to three females (but not four) at breeding age and with males per exotic.

I make sure to never have more than three breeding age sugar gliders at any one time, but I am still in constant contact with my local USDA office because I do take in rescues from time to time (since the rescues are not breeders, they do not exactly fall under the USDA guidelines, but I still report to the USDA about them).

Just letting you know that you can't sell (or give) them to just any pet store. If you don't know if the pet store has a license, ask the manager or owner. Most will tell you if they have one or not. If they say yes, double check them with the USDA. I'll try to find the link where you can double check stores and peoples licenses.

Hope this helps,
Emily

PS - Stores illegally selling exotics is one of my sore spots.

they are cute! I wanted some once-but I have chinchillas,a parrot,bettas,chickens,ducks,a rabbit,3 dogs,4 cats 3 turtles,2 kids and a husband,I think I habe enough to tend to.

Back
Top Bottom