I have no idea what I am doing

Pics

Steven Mazzo

Crowing
May 22, 2017
North Babylon NY
Long story short. A Mallard had a nest in a neighbors garden. The chicks hatched on Friday May 12th and momma took her little ones and left one egg in the nest. Me neighbor watched all night into the next day and she did not return so I took the egg in after it sat out nearly 12 hours in about 45 degree weather and rain. By some miracle I shines a light in there and I saw something move. I quickly made an incubator out of a cardboard box, some towels and a heating pad and placed my little egg in there. Thankfully I found so much information on this site and did tuns of reading and tweaked my sad excuse for an incubator by adding wet paper towels to create humidity. I must admit I was not very hopeful at all it would survive beyond a day or so but here I am 10 days later and this baby has internally pipped and was chirping as of yesterday morning (Sunday May 21st) After reading of everything that can go wrong even when using a proper incubator I was crazy to say the least and made an pin sized hole in the shell in the air sac so it could breath because I could not breath myself I was so scared when I hear that chirping coming from inside. Now I can feel the baby banging around inside but so far it has not broken the shell that I can see. It seems to be almost 12 hours since it pipped internally and I am at a loss as to what I should do. I know I should do nothing at this point but please some advice. I know nothing about any of this all I know is that I am already in love with this amazing little creature and need some help as to next steps

Wow, that's amazing! I just looked at some of the Duck Threads to see if any of the duck people are on line, but can't find anybody now. Maybe @Ravynscroft, @WVduckchick or one of many other duck hatching experts will advise you soon. I believe you are still in the normal time range from internal pip to pipnzip. Good luck:fl

And:welcome

Last edited:
Wow! And if it is still alive, then you did some things right! Is it possible that another duck laid this egg later than the rest? 10 days later is a long time, and I would be most concerned about developmental issues, but if another duck had access to the nest, then maybe its not really "late".

24-48 hours is not uncommon for ducks, so don't worry too much just yet on the actual pip and zip.

Also, keep in mind that assistance can be needed, and depending on how much you've already opened up, you may have to help it finish hatching. BUT... trust me, you do not want to help too soon. A duckling coming out of the shell with unabsorbed yolk is not fun. Let the duckling dictate when it is ready to come out.

@Ravynscroft since bio's tag doesn't look like it worked. I'll be off and on today, but will try to check back when I can.

Wow, that's amazing! I just looked at some of the Duck Threads to see if any of the duck people are on line, but can't find anybody now. Maybe @Ravynscroft, @WVduckchick or one of many other duck hatching experts will advise you soon. I believe you are still in the normal time range from internal pip to pipnzip. Good luck:fl

And:welcome
Thank you so much for answering, its just nice to know someone is there lol. Ive been so worried about this little guy for so long and just want him or her out of that egg. Im physically exhausted. The heating pad shuts off automatically every two hours so Ive been getting up every two hours during the night for the last 9 days to keep turning it back on and all the worrying is not helping either. Hopefully I will get some good advice today. Thank you again

Wow! And if it is still alive, then you did some things right! Is it possible that another duck laid this egg later than the rest? 10 days later is a long time, and I would be most concerned about developmental issues, but if another duck had access to the nest, then maybe its not really "late".

24-48 hours is not uncommon for ducks, so don't worry too much just yet on the actual pip and zip.

Also, keep in mind that assistance can be needed, and depending on how much you've already opened up, you may have to help it finish hatching. BUT... trust me, you do not want to help too soon. A duckling coming out of the shell with unabsorbed yolk is not fun. Let the duckling dictate when it is ready to come out.

@Ravynscroft since bio's tag doesn't look like it worked. I'll be off and on today, but will try to check back when I can.
Please check back lol, the more advice the better. There is the tiniest pin hole in the egg that I made but ive been covering it with a wet paper towel because I read further that the lack of oxygen may be what prompts them to do the outer pip. Still not idea what im doing but this little duck has been banging around in there like its building something for 24 hours now.

Don't cover the egg with wet paper towel...That actually draws out the moisture from the egg....The pin hole is fine...Just do not touch that egg before its ready...It will pip when its ready and then it could be another 24 hours before it zips out..You can not rush it....
Thank you I removed it, is there a maximum time I should wait for the external pip? I just got another peep from inside, I love that sound

The heating pad shuts off automatically every two hours so Ive been getting up every two hours during the night for the last 9 days to keep turning it back on and all the worrying is not helping either.
You poor thing! Many BYCers use heating pads for brooding, only we get the one without auto-shutoff.:D

Back
Top Bottom