I have no idea what I am doing

Yes, 5 degrees a week but they don't start at 95 like chicks. They start at 75 like ducks (from what I've read. I'm no expert but we have a clutch of 12 orphaned wild ducklings that we found at a day old and whom we adopted to a broody hen! We hit 4 weeks yesterday.
Lol I have no idea either but it seems as though what I've read and from here I started at 90 and reduced 5 degrees a week and should be warmed until you reduce to room temp. I hope I did the right thing

He will be three weeks old tomorrow. I thought we were supposed to drop the temp 5 degrees a week until room temp no?

As big and healthy as he is, I'd at least leave the heat lamp off during the day and observe him. You will know if he acts cold. People sometimes go overboard with the minor details. Let him guide you. The dark overnight may even help him settle down. I use a nightlight overnight, just so its not pitch black.

View attachment 1040506 How did this happen in less than three weeks?
oh my gosh!! he is getting so big! and look at his little smirk :love
he looks great!!

Trying to. The weather just started to get warms so we take him out when we get home and get him tired. My sister takes him out for us in the afternoon for a swim
thats awesome!!

He will be three weeks old tomorrow. I thought we were supposed to drop the temp 5 degrees a week until room temp no?
it doesnt have to be so precise, i would definetly turn it off during the day unless you have him near an air conditioner

Lol I have no idea either but it seems as though what I've read and from here I started at 90 and reduced 5 degrees a week and should be warmed until you reduce to room temp. I hope I did the right thing
:hugs you are doing just fine!!! but he is getting feathers now, i wouldnt worry about heat so much now

oh my gosh!! he is getting so big! and look at his little smirk :love
he looks great!!

thats awesome!!

it doesnt have to be so precise, i would definetly turn it off during the day unless you have him near an air conditioner

:hugs you are doing just fine!!! but he is getting feathers now, i wouldnt worry about heat so much now
I have central air. Currently he is in the kitchen but I have the vent closest to him closed and I've raised the temp to 75 so he doesn't get a chill. I guess I'll turn the lamp off.

I have central air. Currently he is in the kitchen but I have the vent closest to him closed and I've raised the temp to 75 so he doesn't get a chill. I guess I'll turn the lamp off.

If you have a heating pad (not the auto shut off one), you can use that overnight with a structure of some kind for him to use if he's chilled. That works very well - many of us (myself included) don't ever use heat lamps, we only use heating pad "caves" from day one with chicks - works with ducks as well. They feather out faster as well.

I *suspect* he actually doesn't need any heat at all, but you could give him the heating pad as a backup. Check this thread out:

Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

(I and many put the heating pad UNDER the frame, but regardless, you see the point.)

(EDIT TO ADD: You don't really need a structure, you can just use the heating pad with a cover on it. Added benefit, less risk of fire than the heating lamp.)

- Ant Farm

Thank you. As much as we are loving him to the sky and back I still keep asking myself if we are doing the right thing. When we are outside and he is running around and swimming and digging for around for something to eat I think yes but at night when we put him in his cage with the heat lamp and he goes nuts I think no. I guess only another week or two of that and things should be more normal for Lucky.

I understand your internal battle. I've been an avid animal rescuer almost since I could talk and I've had that battle with nearly every creature I rescued! Even a little woodrat I rescued that I thought was someone's pet but turned out to be a common pest! FYI, Seattle Animal Shelter is amazing and released him back into the wild with a rescued squirrel! My husband and I also don't have kids and our home and garden is our hobby so any new pet is a conflict between the benefits of the love for the animal and how much they're going to ruin our place!

What you're dealing with is a case of separation anxiety. It's very common in rescued animals. It comes about in large part because of the inordinate amount of time their rescuer spends with them saving their life and rehabilitating them. If you keep Lucky, doing some reading up on the issue would be helpful. There are things you can do to get him used to being without you at night, such as leaving a radio on, etc.

Ultimately, the hardest part to acknowledge is that living indoors in any kind of confinement is not a natural situation for him, which is why the behavior problems escalate there. He will be happiest outdoors with his own kind. Behavior problems with animals are extremely solvable by placing the animal in an environment most closely resembling their natural one.

I have found that it's also very rare for an animal I've happened upon and rescued to be a fit for my lifestyle vs one I've researched and planned for. I've learned through agonies like yours that the best I can do is rescue and then place the animal in a thoroughly vetted environment. If you can handle it, I would suggest looking for a sanctuary for Lucky, or a farm situation where someone won't eat him. Sometimes you just need someone to tell you it's ok not to keep an animal you've rescued.

If you do decide to keep him forever, I recommend getting another duck or some chickens and getting him outside permanently. You all will be happier.

Just my two cents for what it's worth.

Back
Top Bottom