I have one egg from myhen who was killed by fox

Deblett

Songster
Jun 8, 2018
Northern Portugal
Hi all,
Yesterday afternoon my 2 Wyandotte hens were slaughtered by a fox, their Roo went the same way about 2 weeks ago. Up until yesterday I had not had a single egg even though they were around 9 / 10 months old and after cleaning up the carnage this morning, sadly, I found one of the hens had laid her 1st egg yesterday morning!! I have a small Brinsea incubator but as the Roo died a couple of weeks back and this is a 1st egg, am I wasting my time trying to incubate it? The reason I am keen to know, is that I live in Northern Portugal and Wyandottes are hard to find around here as most chickens are kept only for food so no pretty chickens aroound here! and it would be fitting to try and raise her potential chick! The egg is cold obviously, night temps around 8c /46f, daytime around 14c/57f. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you for replying. Is there anything I should do before putting in incubator, should I allow it to come to room temperature or just start the incubation process immediatly?

Thank you for replying. Is there anything I should do before putting in incubator, should I allow it to come to room temperature or just start the incubation process immediatly?
Allow the egg to come to room temperature, resting in an egg carton fat end up tilted 45 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom