I have ONE WEEK! Wish me luck!

lovethepeep

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 3, 2008
So I've been super procrastinator... making up one excuse after the next, but now I have a deadline. I have a sick little chickie that needs a fixin', and if she's not showing signs of getting better, or doesn't die on her own, she is being slaughtered next Saturday! Hubby is doing the deed, and the rest of us will be crying! So everyone, WISH ME LUCK! I am reading up, and trying EVERYTHING I can to get her better before next week. Her name is Rose, she is an 8 week old Black Australorp... PRAY!!!!
big_smile.png

not rude at all. i've been procrastinating putting her down, as i try to make her better. we've been giving her vitmains, waiting, helping her to her feed and water, waiting, reading about what else to do, waiting... but she doesn't seem to be getting better, so we've made a deadline. The only thing we haven't' tried is working to allieviate her crop, which we now *think* what is causing her other symptoms. We are new to this, and just read about it. I am hoping to work on that this week... possibly give her some antibiotics, bring her inside with a heat lamp, do the nice foods and olive oil thing. I just don't want to give up on her! If I KNEW she was suffering, I would've let him kill her from the first signs of her issues...

If she does not get better, it really is a better thing to do (cull her) than keep her in the flock. I too try to get them back to health with a few rounds of vitamins, electrolytes and antibioitcs, but in the end I will cull them after 5 to 7 days. You can tell when a chicken feels better and you can tell when they just give up the ghost.

I am HOPING she gets better! I noticed today that the HUGE lump under her neck was gone! So I guess the olive oil yesterday worked. She is not doing one bit better with standing though
sad.png
... I wonder how long it takes? She is so skinny, and tries so hard to eat and get water. She hasn't given up!

So if it comes down to it... what is going to be the best way to put her to rest
roll.png
you know that was hard to type!

If her crop is down and she eats, give her a day or two and see. Feed her yogurt, bread in milk, sardines, veggie mush and see how she does. You may need to hand feed her if she is too tired, but if it was just a crop issue, then she can get back to health! Just need to be on top of it.

Have you posted the chicks symptoms here at all? Maybe we can all help you work through this and get to the root of the problem so you can treat it properly.

well, sadly enough, I went out this morning to find her soaking wet in her little tub, she had flawed about so much that ther water fell over. It was barely 36 degrees last night, but we did have the heat lamp on. She won't eat now, and her legs are not working at all. She looks pathetic, and my hubsband is just done... I guess I am too. I just heard the gunshot... he doesn't know much about wringing necks, but he does know how to pull a trigger... guess she's a gonner.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom