I have psycho chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeremy Parker, May 31, 2010.

1. Jeremy Parker

Jeremy Parker Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    Hi All,
    Have a question???

I have 60+ plymouth rock chicks there are aproaching 1 week old.
    They are psycho they are getting there wing feathers and jumping and acting stupid and trying to jump out of the box!

I'm used to the more docile meat chickens. Is this behaviour normal??

They are fun to watch a bug got in there and they went crazy.

I'm keeping the temp at about 29C

Blessings,
    Jeremy

2. Kismet

Kismet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    New Hampshire, USA
    Normal. Sounds like they need more space. Like active two year olds, they want to run and jump. This is a wonderful age to just sit with a cup of coffee and watch. You learn a lot about chicken behavior. [​IMG]

3. Jeremy Parker

May 25, 2010
    thanks for your input!

They have .8sqft per bird in the brooder is this not the normal space?[​IMG]

Blessings,[​IMG]
    Jeremy

4. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    I would go with more space. I am at 1.5 sq ft per bird. They still play but there is room for a sleepy chick to get away from the non sense. [​IMG]

5. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    As my brooder space shrank my chicks got much like you have described yours. It is a territorial issue (usually) and the extra space will be a good start to solving it. It happens to all flocks but more frequently when the birds are stressed.

6. Jeremy Parker

May 25, 2010
    Well I doubled there space and guess what??

The are even more psycho, now the can run across the pen and jump in the air and do a front roll when they land [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

They all come running to me when I go to fill the feeder now, do you know how hard it is to not step on 63 psycho chicks running around and now they climb right onto my feet and start peeping.[​IMG] its going to be hard to cull when I have too [​IMG]

Blessings,
    Jeremy

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  7. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    Haha! They are so adorable, aren't they?! My chicks do that. My one brahma seems to be a bit calmer than the others though. I think breed matters when it comes to personality and stuff like that.

My chicks will try to fly up at me so i pick them up! [​IMG] I think I need to increase their space too.

8. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:mine were a little crazy in their small brooder but when i moved them to their large new brooder then totally went crazy and would chase after each other with strawberries for hours none stop [​IMG]

9. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

My brown leghorn, Chicken Sally, is an absolute maniac. The hatchery gave her to us as an "extra" but passed her off as an Auracana. I love her but sometimes I wish I could drop her back off! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by