I have questions

CrazyCrttr75

Free Ranging
Apr 21, 2018
Robertson County, TN
My flock consists of a trio. A male and female Rouen and a female Khaki Campbell. My Khaki Campbell, Annabelle, went broody and we decided to let her have a go at hatching eggs. This is my first time ever doing this. She did good and now we have 5 happy and healthy fluffy ducklings that are 3 weeks old now. We are still keeping the male separate from the ducklings. The other female was fine around them in the beginning but has recently started chasing them and trying to nip at them. Normal behavior? Since I was concerned, we have fenced off a section in the duck area to keep the littles away from everyone (look but no touch) yet can be in the same "territory". We have been letting mom over with her flock mates and away from babies because she has been increasingly showing a desire to be with them. I figure it helps keep their bonds close. She doesn't ignore her babies in an abandon type way, she just isn't as clingy to them. She happily leaves them to go do her thing. I figure is a natural progression. My question(s) are as follows: Around what time should I be expected to have babies totally separated from mom? I ask this because I figure that I will have to keep them separated from my Drake until they are sexually mature. I don't want him to hurt them. I think I have at least 2 males but I won't know for sure until they are old enough to voice sex (again, they are only 3 weeks old right now). We will get rid of any males we have and are intending to keep any females. What would y'all do if you were in my situation?

Here is a video I took of them a couple days ago. 4 out of the 5 are pure Rouen. There is one that is a little different. It has a partial neck ring like momma and has white wing tips. When they were born, that one had a 2 tone bill and 2 tone feet, whereas the others all had black bills and black feet. So only 1 of Annabelle's eggs made it and the rest were Xena's (my Rouen). That's the only way I could tell them apart. I think I am going to have to upgrade their pool size before too much longer lol. They sure do grow so fast!
My sweet babies :love

I am there right now as far as age I have two 12 week old and 2 3 week olds I let them out with everyone when I can be with them ( free time ) but when I can’t they are in a set up like yours where everyone can see each other but no one can bully or rape I have a very hormonal Runner drake. Usually the moms here spend more time away from their ducklings starting at three weeks and linking back up at night to sleep together by 4- 5 weeks they are done for good.

I am there right now as far as age I have two 12 week old and 2 3 week olds I let them out with everyone when I can be with them ( free time ) but when I can’t they are in a set up like yours where everyone can see each other but no one can bully or rape I have a very hormonal Runner drake. Usually the moms here spend more time away from their ducklings starting at three weeks and linking back up at night to sleep together by 4- 5 weeks they are done for good.

Being new at hatching and letting mom brood them instead of doing so myself inside, I am just learning as I go. I was curious as to when she would start laying eggs again. Or if she would at all. I found out at 2 weeks (to the day) she laid an egg and has been laying every day since. My drake is very hormonal as well. Maybe I wouldn't be so antsy about integrating if mom was more feisty. Which is crazy for me to even say because she was very protective towards us (humans) but not towards the ducks. She just runs and/or submits. My drake just runs all over her. So that is my concern with him because I don't think she will protect the babies. She's more likely to stand back away and just quack in distress and only watch. So I don't know how much of a butthead Noah will be but I just don't want to take the chance. So I may be a little overprotective here but to me, it is worth it lol. So probably in a couple of weeks I will have Annabelle back sleeping with the others and the babies sleeping in their part of the coop by themselves. I will definitely keep this in mind. Thank you Miss Lydia.

Personally I'd get them out and about with Momma and the flock. Definitely keep the Drake separated though. If he goes into eclipse then he will be safe around the young Ducks. That Hen is just telling the Ducklings she is boss over them and I'm positive she will not injure them.

Back
Top Bottom