I have roosters...kind of.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Yayeggs, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Yayeggs

Yayeggs New Egg

Oct 31, 2012
    I have a smaller coop and four large pullet Barred Rocks. For the most part they've been just laying on the pine shavings at the bottom of the coop. Once in a while I'd turn off the light at night to tuck them in and maybe one or two would be roosting, but tonight all four were roosting. Yay...I have roosters, finally. It's the little things that make me happy. Now, if one would just lay an egg already. :)

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Be patient.Even in the winter the egg will come. I just put a 25watt FLU bulb back in the coop so mine would start laying aain.They had 3 months off for molting!

Mine roost on a wooden beam,but it looks like in winter they like to have their bottoms full on something. Finding them on the pine shaving floor,straw bales,and nest box.

3. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    in the winter,ours gets holiday vacations.either they can rest from laying eggs,or go to an extended stay at camp kenmore. seriously,we dont have lights in our coops.we have so many chickens,we need not stress them to lay eggs 24/7.they get their days off,and "slacker saturdays". they lay low in the winter and high in the summer. nature does best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by