I have silkies, can I put eggs from another breed of chicken i with them and have them hatch them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shandina, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Shandina

Shandina Chirping

Sep 25, 2017
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I have two silkie roos and 2 silkie hens, I want to get more chickens and maybe some different kinds. If I buy fertilized eggs of sillies or another kind of chicken do you think my silkie hens would hatch them and care for the chicks? I really want more chickens but they are actually hard to find in my area, but theirs lots of already hatched chicks and eggs I can buy. I do not want to hatch them myself and use a heat lamp and etc... it seems like a lot of work and I have small kids I'd have a hard time keeping away from them not to mention I don't like the idea of a heat lamp in my house.

Second question if I just put young chicks in there would they take care of them and keep them warm? I've read that silkies are the best to accept other chicks but I wanted to hear from others their experience. and if it's a terrible idea or not. I don't want to kill a bunch of chicks.

Whats the best time of year to do this if I did do it? it's too cold right now in my area but maybe come summer, they be ok?

2. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    Your hens have to be broody to hatch eggs or take care of chicks. If not they will kill them.

Shandina likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: