I have silkies, can I put eggs from another breed of chicken i with them and have them hatch them?

Shandina

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 25, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have two silkie roos and 2 silkie hens, I want to get more chickens and maybe some different kinds. If I buy fertilized eggs of sillies or another kind of chicken do you think my silkie hens would hatch them and care for the chicks? I really want more chickens but they are actually hard to find in my area, but theirs lots of already hatched chicks and eggs I can buy. I do not want to hatch them myself and use a heat lamp and etc... it seems like a lot of work and I have small kids I'd have a hard time keeping away from them not to mention I don't like the idea of a heat lamp in my house.

Second question if I just put young chicks in there would they take care of them and keep them warm? I've read that silkies are the best to accept other chicks but I wanted to hear from others their experience. and if it's a terrible idea or not. I don't want to kill a bunch of chicks.

Whats the best time of year to do this if I did do it? it's too cold right now in my area but maybe come summer, they be ok?

Back
Top Bottom