I have so many questions!

LisaG1982

Chirping
Sep 22, 2017
I'm 5 months new to having Chickens. So far I'm in love with all of them. I have 8 hens and one Silkie Roo. I have 4 who started laying in the last month so things are just now getting fun! However I've noticed they are not as interested in their feed as they were as chicks. I give them meal worms here and there for treats. They absolutely go crazy over smashed egg shells. Watermelon. Apples. Corn on the cob. I'm just curious interested ways I can get them to live their feed again. They just want treats now. Also.... when do they stop laying eggs for winter???

Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

I'd advise reducing the quantity of treats that you give them - strictly speaking, they are not necessary.

As far as I'm aware, new layers should continue laying during winter (but they will stop, next winter). I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong - I live on the equator, so we don't have the typical seasons that you do.

More generally, here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

Pork Pie

:welcome Hi Lisa . you have spoiled them :lau. What brand of feed are you feeding ? Take away the treats or slowly reduce them and they will start to like their feed .Young pullets just started laying will lay well into the winter. As the days grow shorter production will go down and there will be some eggless days . A lot of that depends what part of the world you are in . I like to have pullets start laying in November if possible . that keeps eggs coming pretty much year round for me

Last edited:
:welcome Hi Lisa . you have spoiled them :lau. What brand of feed are you feeding ? Take away the treats or slowly reduce them and they will start to like their feed .Young pullets just started laying will lay well into the winter. As the days grow shorter production will go down and there will be so eggless days . A lot of that depends what part of the world you are in . I like to have pullets start laying in November if possible . that keeps eggs coming pretty much tear round for me
I had a feeling I spoiled them . I will lay off the treats. I cannot remember the feed. It's whatever my feed store recommended. It's top brand.

Chickens are just like kids - once they get alot of treats they turn their nose(beak) up at healthy foods.

Sometimes chickens don't like the form of feed, mash or pellets. Or the brand. Layers do not have to be on layer feed. They get more protein from "Grower," and you can put out crushed oyster shell in a separate container. The layers will take it as needed, to meet their calcium needs

I had a feeling I spoiled them . I will lay off the treats. I cannot remember the feed. It's whatever my feed store recommended. It's top brand.
You can also go back to the starter grower you were feeding and mix the layer feed in with it . Increase it slowly so they adjust to the feed . I feed a mixture of layer crumbles and scratch feed . I have different pens of chickens that like different feeds . Some will eat more layers crumbles while others eat more scratch. So I feed what they like. They are birds and like small whole grains and sunflower seeds are a real treat to them . If they have access to dirt to scratch then grit and oyster shell aren't that important . But you should have them available free choice for them . Just watch what they eat and feed less of what they don't eat . Allow them to clean out the feeders every once in a while .You will get the hang of things in short order.

I'm 5 months new to having Chickens. So far I'm in love with all of them. I have 8 hens and one Silkie Roo. I have 4 who started laying in the last month so things are just now getting fun! However I've noticed they are not as interested in their feed as they were as chicks. I give them meal worms here and there for treats. They absolutely go crazy over smashed egg shells. Watermelon. Apples. Corn on the cob. I'm just curious interested ways I can get them to live their feed again. They just want treats now. Also.... when do they stop laying eggs for winter???
They just have to be hungry again!
They are like little children, if you give to a little child, only Ice Cream, chocolate cakes ect, he will not eat the meat, vegetables and the real food!
The treats (everything else exept the feed) should be maximum 10% of their diet. If you are free rangeing them it is is another ball game.

Back
Top Bottom