I have some pip now can we add a little zip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by andisgarden, Sep 22, 2009.

1. andisgarden

andisgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    I had 5 eggs under my little Barred cohin and I checked on her this morning and there were two eggs with little pips. I am a proud mama [​IMG] She is my fav and it doesn't surprise me that she would be my first broody. She is spoiled.

How long does it usually take from pip to zip? Also, I want her to raise them so do I just move her to a box on the floor with a small feeder and water near her? Also, I have had a terrible outbreak of Coci last week and lost several birds. They are on Sulmet right now what precautions can I take to make sure the babies don't die from this? I will feed medicated crumbles.

Thanks,

Andrea

2. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    I had 2 hatch last night from my Copper Maran it took at total of about 6 hours. Good luck this is an eggciting time, it was my first time!

3. andisgarden

Mar 14, 2009
    I have 18 various copper and blue copper maran eggs in the bator right now. I love marans [​IMG] Due to hatch October 7th... I can hardly wait. I need to get a flashlight to candle them.

4. andisgarden

Mar 14, 2009
    5 babies from 5 eggs..YEAH Barbara (my broody) she is a good mama. When do I give them water and food. I don't want to handle them too soon.

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    You just have to put the chick start (mom will eat it too) and water where they can get to it. Mom will show them how to eat and forage [​IMG] Mazeltov!

6. andisgarden

Mar 14, 2009
    You were right. I put her in a big box with food and water and immediatly she started pecking away and the babies followed her lead. It is so cute.

Thanks,

andrea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by