I have started building a "MONSTER" of a coop and run!2

Is a GFCI still recommended if there is no outlet near a water source?

Any outdoor outlets must be GFCI due to the weather. Well that is code out here where I live.

Not that you are permitting it but just to be on the safe side I would GFCI the outlet.​

Last edited:
Quote:
That isn't correct. Regular outlets attached on the load side will be protected by the GFCI outlet. That's a common practice. It's a waste of money to buy GFCI outlets for every outlet on a circuit.

The house I live in has a GFCI outlet at the kitchen counter to protect several outlets there. One GFCI in a bathroom protects all the outlets in two bathrooms and a GFCI outlet in the garage protects all of the garage and back porch outlets.

Looks fantastic.

I wish someone would force me to retire to the countryside!
smile.png

All I can say is WOW! I chatted with you last night and when I was going thru the threads I noticed your name on this one. You weren't kidding when you said you were building a monster size chicken coop. Love the pics - keep adding on.
smile.png

Gregg, What a fantastic job you are doing. I am one that just starts out building and making adjustments as I go along. It sounds like you did a great job of figuring out ahead of time all the dang little 1/2", 1 1/2 "and 2" issues that come along with buying studs as opposed to 8' boards. I have had quit some fun in the past fixing those thing. I also appreciate the information about lapping the siding over the framing as opposed to having it rest on the lower flooring. I have had some water leaking problems in my last building and I have caulked several times. I am thinking about making another small unit only 4x8 or possibly 8x8 and then that is IT. It will be my 5th one. I am learning a lot by seeing how you did yours. I just love it. You have lucky chickens.

Sarge!!!
That is a monster size chicken coop I really think you are doing just fine with your project!!! keep up the good work and post more pictures
big_smile.png

I will soon complete the set up of my chicken coop too and will post pictures shortly
tongue.png
thanks for sharing your project Gregg I got some ideas from you already
big_smile.png

Gregg, I like what you are doing !

I have a long coop similar to yours and what I like best about it is the enclosed walkway down the length of it. It gives me room for storage and I can stay out of the weather to feed or clean if it is raining, cold, etc. The nest boxes are also in the walkway.

It might be something to think about if you don't mind losing 2-3 feet from each pen. (You may already be planning this.)

This picture is in the early messy stage. Imagine this is your store room and the hall to the left goes in front of your pens. (I actually have pens in this room too. Each has a run attached.)

storage210-9-04.jpg

There are shavings in each pen and I pooper scoop them every morning. It really doesn't take too long and I don't have to worry about a sewage problem.

It has been nearly 2 weeks since I last posted any updates on my "Hen House"/Monster Coop.

I Think I have done a lot, well a lot of futzing at least.
Last week I cut out the 3 openings for the chickens, I built window shudders/covers and put them up.
IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

I plan to hang chains and hooks to prop open the windows.

I put the rafters up and got help installing the roofing.
IMG_0439-1.jpg

Once the roofing up, this week I was able to then start working on the inside.
IMG_0441.jpg

I installed the breaker box, 4 light fixtures, 2 double gang outlets and moved and reinstalled the out door water proof single gang outlet.
IMG_0455.jpg

I plan on using 250watt infrared heat lamps for heat in the winter, and in hopes of keeping my hoses and waters from freezing.???

I also used a 2-way splitter on my water hydrant and ran a hose inside the coop. Then I ran the hose along the ceiling to a 4-way splitter, then ran 3 hoses along the ceiling and hung the 3 auto waters.
IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

I'm not sure if you see very well but I began building the doors and putting up chicken wire on the 3 separating walls. I also put chicken wire over the 6 windows, to keep critters out and my chickens in.

I have not finished the inside separating walls, but I have begun painting the out side. I decided on painting the coop barn red with white trim.

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

Well thats as far as I have gotten these last 2 weeks.
What do you all think so far?

Oh by the way, I have plans in the making for another coop that I'll start building in the spring of 2010 or 2011. I plan on it being 3x the size of this one(about 24' X 40'), believe it or not.

Back
Top Bottom