I have three cats and two dogs. Can I use rat poison?

ok i have a question and I dont want to stir the pot...but... (gotta love that little word)

what IF....

the poisoned rat gets out and your dog or cat eat the rat or a portion of the rat?....say good buy to the dog..... most (not all) rat poisons will make the rat or mouse bleed out internally....or they will make the rat or mouse search out water because the poison is dehydrating them....

dont risk it please..... dont use poison... use the old fashioned snap rat traps or the "kill houses" the black box idea where the rat gets in but cant get out, or the humane traps....

If you have 3 cats.... why do you have a rodent problem?! I only have one cat and he is front declawed, and he has killed mice, rats, snakes, and moles.... I NEVER have any rodent problems in or near my house....

Quote:
The key is finding a poison that won't trickle down to other animals that will eat it. Because, you're right (and I probably should have mentioned it), the chicken who eats the mouse or rat can be poisoned too. You just have to find the right products. It's much easier to find the safer products because so many people have pets to worry about. For example, our exterminator doesn't use anything but pet-friendly products unless giving it you in writing and due to specific pests. Our first blue blocks came from them. If you go to the Co-Op or TSC (or even your exterminator, if you use one) tell them your concerns. Tell them you have chickens, dogs and cats and need a product that they can't get sick from, if they get to the dead mouse or rat. I'm quite certain my chickens have eaten some of the dead mice.

In addition, you should ALWAYS place boxes in places where other pets can't get to them like under outbuildings, staked down, bolted down, etc.

None of my dogs have gotten into the boxes. They also come with locks. They're pretty sturdy boxes and my dogs can both carry off and tear up stuff I never thought they could.

If you're worried about your dogs getting into them, then use a trap. Do whatever brings you peace. I OTOH will not use snap traps because other animals can get into them and get hurt. What's the difference? The poison is contained in a sturdy locked box, whereas the traps are not. I'd stick to the other traps if I couldn't use my handy dandy black boxes.

You mentioned, "I neglected to put the black oil sunflower seeds away last night after filling the wild bird feeders."

Methinks you might want to rethink feeding the wild birds, if this is attracting rats. YIIIKKKES!!!! Mice are bad enough---don't your cats do their job? I have 4 cats, and I never see mice in the house, and only see them occasionally in the barn, despite living on the edge of farm fields.

Wafin will kill birds, too. Please be careful. If I am correct, it is an anticoagulant, and the animals bleed out.

Quote:
That's exactly what happened to my pup, she ate a dead rat and SHE started to bleed out internally. It was the most emotionally scarring thing I have ever seen, because she was bleeding from everywhere, mouth, nose... everywhere. And she just laid there catatonic. You don't want that, even if your dog isn't like your child, you never want to see that.

Quote:
I have to say, while it seems like common sense, I think we've all done this. I think everyone I know that feeds wild birds is feeding the squirrels as well. Don't feel bad about doing that, just pick your battles. If you want to battle squirrels (or mice) because it gives you pleasure to see the birds (it does me!), by all means!

Heck, I probably feed the mice in my house just by having chicken feed in my basement! I know my mom feeds them with the cereal in her cabinets
tongue2.gif

Quote:
The cats have been catching the mice as we haven't seen them in the house in years. The rats live out in the fields and since our land is mostly hay they tend to stay out there. We keep the hay cut low which seems to keep them underground. But when my mom or I are out cutting the hay with the tractor you can see they jumping up every few minutes. I have no proof it is not the same rat over and over, but it is creepy...

I think the cats have been having trouble with the crazy weather we have been having here in the NW. For example, yesterday was 60 degrees and 85% humidity and cloudy. Today is 71 and 65% humidiy and overcast Friday was 89 and 35% full sun!!!

... We, in years past, rarely got over 30-40% humidity in the summers unless it was cold and raining... Everytime the cats aclimate to the new weather it changes again... I have been having trouble myself, I could not imagine wearing a fur suit...

The main reason I think the rat came up on the porch was due to the fact it was so overcast, it was 7:30 pm at night all day long...

I should have moved the coop somewhere where it was not near the old shed. As I was installing the hardware cloth today I found several HUGE tunnels... Could be a road for the rats as well as the weasels. Neither of which I like to think of being just under the surface of my ladies coop...

I'll be making a post later about the "moat" or trench I added around the coop and run... I've tried to take some good pictures as maybe it will be helpful...

Quote:
That's exactly what happened to my pup, she ate a dead rat and SHE started to bleed out internally. It was the most emotionally scarring thing I have ever seen, because she was bleeding from everywhere, mouth, nose... everywhere. And she just laid there catatonic. You don't want that, even if your dog isn't like your child, you never want to see that.

Yeah. I won't be doing it.. It is totally not worth it... Besides... I'll be building a new home for my girls so I can use the smaller house for brooding... Its now a fort knox... Or Fort Curly, named after my roo....

I've used this rat/mice killer before and it works. Give it a try

1 part plaster of paris (cheap at any craft store)
1 part peanut butter
Mix with vegetable oil until very thick (DO NOT USE WATER)

Roll this mixture into small balls and throw them under the coop. This way dogs and cats can't get to it. The rats will eat this and turns to concrete in their stomach and they die. After I did this I never found any dead rats but I would find small chunks of concrete. Seems that the dead rats were eaten but whatever ate them didn't like the rock it encountered.

Let me know if you try it and how it works for you

Back
Top Bottom