I have three hens that I'm not sure the breed of...

JCE123

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
Can anyone clarify the breeds of these hens? They are supposed to be an easter egger, an olive egger and a bantam something, lol! The bantam lays blue eggs, the olive egger lays brown :-/ and the easter egger lays tinted (it would be a stretch to say pinkish). I got. Them from a friend who has a bunch of different types. And no roosters, she got them as day olds.

Thanks!

Oh, sorry, the second and third photos are both of Elsa, the easter egger that lays non Easter egg colored eggs. The fourth and fifth are of the Bantam mystery breed that lays blue eggs. The first is the supposed 'olive egger' that lays brown eggs. :p

Your "Olive Egger" doesn't look like a normal OE to me, but I'm not very familiar with that cross and could be wrong. The bird in the second and third photos is an Easter Egger. The mystery bantam looks like a mix, possibly with some Wyandotte or another rose combed breed in her ancestry. Beautiful birds!

Your "Olive Egger" doesn't look like a normal OE to me, but I'm not very familiar with that cross and could be wrong. The bird in the second and third photos is an Easter Egger. The mystery bantam looks like a mix, possibly with some Wyandotte or another rose combed breed in her ancestry. Beautiful birds!
I agree.

That first hen looks very much like a norwegian jaerhon. The other two look like a pretty typical EE and a bantam EE mix, probably crossed with OEG. I am wondering where you got them. Did they come from a hatchery? Breeder?

The other option is that the first hen is a cuckoo marans crossed with a cream legbar. This also produces an olive-egger and is a somewhat common cross.

Oh, sorry, the second and third photos are both of Elsa, the easter egger that lays non Easter egg colored eggs. The fourth and fifth are of the Bantam mystery breed that lays blue eggs. The first is the supposed 'olive egger' that lays brown eggs. :p

Yes, I understood. The first hen is very unique and pretty. The second hen is a beautiful Easter Egger. The bantam looks like a beardless Easter Egger. I agree with WyandotteIndeed, the bantam may be part OEGB.

Awesome! I love the info, learning about this stuff is really fun for me. My friends and especially my husband think that I have lost my mind! LOL!
I got all 7 of my birds from a girl near me that has a collection of heritage breeds and otherwise interesting hens. She has no males, no is not breeding them herself. She got some as fertile eggs and some as day olds, but I don't know where they originated. I have a black super pouffy silkie, an orange (?) silkie, a tan showgirl silkie, a Barnevelder and the three pictured above. I wish I could get more, lol! I'd love a cream legbar :D

Back
Top Bottom