I have to cull the flock of my dreams

flowerchild59

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Southern IL
I finally am off crutches and walking after a summer of surgery . I was out of commission for 10 weeks or so with foot surgery and my husband diligently kept the new babies and older pullets (none more than 7 mos or so) fed and watered but not much else and find my mixed flock of ameraucanas, coronation sussex, lavender and blue marans, and araucanas rattly and with nasal drainage. I started them a few days ago on tetracycline as I had it on hand (after I wormed them with wazine). Today I detect a funky odor. I am a nurse. I know what funk smells like. And I have one with a bad eye. They were started on SMZ today.
I had new chicks last year from MM that were a mixed flock of brown egg layers. I loved them but wanted prettier birds with a better pedigree. I sold them to purchase from "breeders" locally and thru mail so I could start to concentrate on certain breeds that caught my interest. My breed envy got the best of me and sold those perfectly fine girls and started anew. I did a few weeks of quarantine but don't know how well my DH kept it up with me laid up with back to back foot surgeries this summer. UGGGGHHHH. I am so stupid!!!!!!!!!!!! I know deep down that my flock has coryza after reading and doing lots of research.
Today I called a vet, who called a vet, who called the state lab and they told me to take a couple of the worst looking ones in alive for exam and to have necroscopy. The cost is 50 dollars and goes up depending on how much in testing fees they have to do.
Should I just cull all and not take them for testing and burn the carcasses, or do I really want to know the truth and spend even more money. I spent some bucks this summer to see it all go down the drain????? I will probably spend 50 or more in gas alone just to drive up there. Of course I would clean amd disinfect the coop and leave it sit for months.
I know I can't keep them as they would be carriers for life. It just makes me sick. I told my adult son he has to come over to help me do the deed. All I can do is think about it and cry. They are all so sweet and beautiful.

I'm so sorry! I can't imagine having to decide what to do. My thoughts are with you at this tough time!
hugs.gif

I am so sorry. I can't imagine how you are feeling.
hugs.gif
I am glad your son can come and help. I just can't imagine how hard this is for you. My thoughts are with you. I hope your friends and family can be of support.

Last edited:
If you are that attached to them, and you have the money, then get the testing done. Then you can decide the best course of action and be happy that you've done the right thing. Otherwise you may never know.

I have to add that I have had hatchery birds for 30+ years and was always satisfied with them. I wanted them for yard ornaments and eggs and nothing more. I was looking to retire from nursing (35 or so years) and have my "speciality" birds be my retirement project along with my hosta collection. I envisioned people coming from all over to marvel at my hosta landscaping and maybe be interested in my marans or sussex or some other dual purpose bird. We do live on a farm and I wanted to be more self sustaining and all of that dribble.
I think MM birds are ok with me. Maybe itt won't hurt so bad if a coon or foxes decimate my flock. Or coryza occurs because I am negligent.

I would test that way you know for sure you need to cull. That way if it is just a cold or something you wouldn't have killed your whole flock.

I would want to know for sure....but then if I have it happen to me I will just have a closed flock. I have 8 cats left who are positive for feline leukemia. I take in only positive cats so they can live happily here till they die. BUT, and this is a big but, I don't want to breed chickens to sell so it would be easy for me.
sharon

I HAVE been in your shoes!
hit.gif
Last year mine started with the sneezing. Then started dying slowly. I had them tested. They did not have corza but rather MS. They would have been carriers for life , even if I had started them on the Denaguard( which treats MS and can prevent it). I had someone come and get them all. It is not catching to people and they are edible. Someone wanted them for the freezer and so. I went three months without chicks or hens. It was torture. I used clorox and then virkon-S to cleanse with. I rebuilt part of my coop. Refloored the coop , painted etc. I put sand in the floor of the runs etc. It was soo hard.
Now I have a new flock Thanks to Kathynmo and Beth. They are purebreeds and beautiful. No eggs yet but should have within a couple of more weeks. I am a nurse too. I could not let them suffer and die. I gave them mercy with a quick death. I still miss them for their personalities. I always will ,but they enriched my life and my new flock is doing the same.
hugs.gif
Gloria Jean

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with wanting specialty birds. And you weren't just being negligent - it sounds like you had a rough summer with surgeries and recovery! It's very sad that you have coryza and I do agree that it's better to cull than to let them be carriers for life and have to worry about a closed flock. I know it hurts and it's hard to lose a lot of money but please don't be hard on yourself - this isn't your fault and I'm sure your husband did the best he could, too.

I would consider the testing but with that smell it's certainly coryza. So you'd have to weigh the cost versus having an official diagnosis.

Don't give up on your dream - it sounds like a wonderful way to spend your retirement!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom