I have to destroy my entire flock. I need a very humane way

I would speak to a vet. So far, either you or the chickens are going to suffer horribly. Most likely, both. Very sorry for all this nightmare.

Yeah.. you could call a vet and see what he'd charge to put them all down?
Its hard.. i know.
sad.png

12 gauge with number 4 shot one shot per bird aimem mid body if you had a back hoe Id dig the hole place them in the hole and shoot them individually then Id use diesel fuel with say 10 - 20 percent gasoline mixed in and douse the hole with a good amount of that walk back a few feet and toss in a fuse / flare... Also I hat to say it but there is no pleasant way to do this and the unfortunate thing about farming is you have to cull animals it is a matter of when you will have to do that not if you will... The vet likely would be expensive and likely would not get involved...

Myco is also carried by rodents, nearly all rodents- so unless your next birds live in a rodent free zone...

http://if-srvv-edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034
http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=11196

Above is an article talking about the bacteria in chickens, that if you just wait for your chickens to die off and never sell any or sell any hatching eggs - that would be acceptable also -

You wold have a 'closed flock' apparently NIPI doesn't test for Myco and "80% of backyard flocks have been exposed" (see second link- I haven't checked the other thread yet)

It's also a huge problem at commercial farms because it drops production (eggs or wight gain), not for any other reason... *YIKES*

About the exhaust fumes, I've read the same thing regarding the effects before dying... mainly throat & eye burning. Has ANYONE read anything about natural gas or propane if it can be done safely? I really appreciate the idea of a cooler because if another type of gas is possible (and safe), I won't need that much if I'm doing 2-3 at a time. What about ether (or maybe I'm thinking it's chloroform)? Can you legally buy it anywhere?

We live on 10 acres so rodents are always a problem. I try my best with bait traps and poison in areas not accessible to the hens and not to leave food on the floor... but the coop is impossible to be feed free, isn't it?.

Last edited:
Quote:
I hope the OP reads the links you posted. That last one was a real eye opener.

Shame on the sellers of those chickens. I hope you are letting them know what their lie has caused.
sad.png

I would personally cut their heads off if you are going to cull. Very hard on you though. I'm so sorry you are going through this.
hugs.gif

I am so sorry for your pain. I would be heartsick if it happened to my flock. I'm sorry I have no suggestions, but I did want to tell you how brave you are for coming to BYC to discuss this need. I'm afraid I would curl up into a little ball like folded cellophane - emotional pain = frozen inaction in my family. And I'm the repository of all of my family "stuff."

Please, I pray, may someone or many someones be able to assist you.

first off I'm sory for you and your birds , but to tell you like i see it , the best way is to break their necks, do not shoot or dismember , you do not want to spead this all over your ground, break their neck and prepare a large fire pit and burn all remains again sorry

Back
Top Bottom