I have to name her Thumbelina

SebastHen

In the Brooder
May 9, 2018
First, please don't scold me as I feel horrible about this, but also very grateful.
I just got 3 chicks, about a week old. 1 Ameracauna and 2 Buff Orpingtons.
It was a beautiful day yesterday, so I thought I would treat them to a little sunshine & fresh air. I have a nice sturdy dog crate that I thought would be safe, but of course I stayed outside to be sure. Long story short, I went in the house for a moment and when I came out a jay had a chick at his feet.

I have no idea how the jay got the chick. I guess he could have squeezed in between bars, which are about an inch apart. I was terrified and thought the chick must be dead. I picked her up from the jay's feet and held her. No injuries visible & hopefully she wasn't too traumatized.

I really can NOT believe the jay didn't kill her; I am so grateful.

I am certainly being a lot more careful, & on the lookout for jays especially. We are out on the porch today, but not in the open, we are on my small back porch & if I even have to go to the bathroom I will drag them inside with me.
Amazingly, she shows no signs at all; I don't even know which one it was as they still all look alike. The Ameracauna is a tad larger, but I can only see that if they are all together.

Hello and welcome to BYC

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom