I have to praise you like I should

Noble Rooster

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
NY
So a little over a year ago I posted about a hen who adopted my son: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/585297/the-bodyguard-sing-it-with-me-now-yall Well, for various reasons she is now our sole chickie, and definitely remains in charge of my son. When he learned to walk she was right beside him. When he tested out whether having a small tantrum would get him anywhere, she ran over to him, clucked sternly, and he didn't try tantruming like that again (not that he doesn't tantrum; he is a toddler after all!). She chased bubbles with him this summer. She is his constant companion outside. But the reason I feel like she needs a shout-out is that over the past year she has had serious medical issues, survived some brutal pecking and defeathering when there was upheaval in the flock, and now has been a refugee from Hurricane Sandy with us. And several years ago she survived a brutal coyote attack. She was starting to ail even before the storm and I wasn't sure how she would do with being moved, but has rolled with it like a champ and has even started to gain weight again in her temporary digs! My son adores her and she has taken good care of all of us through a difficult year for my family. She's an inspirational little gal.
love.gif
I know you guys appreciate the magic and love that animals, especially chickens, can bring when we open our hearts to them. So I just wanted to say thank you to her, and to share her story. Thanks for reading!

Here she is doing storm cleanup with her "chick":

Back
Top Bottom