I have two questions!!

NC-Chickoholic

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
1) What color egs will my silkie hens be layin and my bantam Cochins be layin???

2) I had my silkie trio in a small coop and my Bantam cochins in a small coop. I have since decided to put them togather all in the big house and run . But i am havin one problem....I cant get them to go to roost in the new delux house.....What can I do to get them in there ... I have a couple of younger birds that are mixed in also and they know exactly where to go and what to doo but it has been over a month now and they still insist onstayin outside in the rain or whatever ,,,,plz help...what can I doo !

Thx so much

anyonee?
hmm.png

I can only help with one. Silkies lay a cream colored egg. I think Cochins lay brown but don't know that for sure.

From all that I have read here I would lock them in the "big house" for at least 2 days and then let them out. That way they will start to think of it as home.
Good luck and let us know what happens.

When I first put my chicks out in the coop I keep them locked in for about a week, and everynight so far without fail at about 7:30 or 7:45 they go in for the night. So I would suggest putting them in the coop and not letting them out for a couple of days till the realize that is there new home. Good luck with them. Dont have a clue as to the egg color because none of my chicks have layed a single egg yet! Hopefully there getting close though!
big_smile.png

silkies cream color. cochin brown We have two grow out coops where we have to go out each night and herd the chickens into their coops. Its become a chicken roundup. Hopefully they will get the idea. I keep their food dishes inside the coop and they will go inside to eat. I feed in the evening as well as the morning.when they see a new bowl of feed going into the coop, most come running inside. Theres always a few stragglers though.

Put a little light in the coop and turn it on late afternoon, then off after they are all in. Use a treat to bribe them to come in. When you offer a treat, use a certain call to let them know it's treat time, use the same call with a treat every day, and it won't be long before they come to that call. They are actually very easy to train.

The light can just be one of those battery operated closet lights that cost about $6 if you don't have power in the coop. Or evn a flashlight. Once they learn to go in, you won't have to use it any more.

Back
Top Bottom