I have two roosters, saliva-like liquid from beaks

AstralTaco

In the Brooder
May 18, 2021
They are both roughly 3 months old..

I've noticed this from a while ago and thought it was nothing. It doesn't always happen, but when it does it's worse than before but goes away by the next day. I only notice the odd liquid after they eat or drink. It's normally clear unless there's food in it. It's about as thick as saliva, but chickens don't normally salivate.. or atleast that I am aware of.

Yesterday, Taco (my darker rooster, also my father gave the name) had this liquid coming out of his beak. It seemed as if he couldn't get it out, and kept coughing.

Recently they have also taken to sitting in the grass.
I will have to test their crops tomorrow, as I forgot this morning.
(And no, I didn't have my phone to take a picture, sorry)

Welcome To BYC

Photos of your cockerels and their poop would be good.

I agree, I would check their crops first thing in the morning before they have had anything to eat/drink. If the crops are not empty, the read the article I have linked to help you determine what you need to do.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What are you feeding your cockerels? Do they have grit?

Chickens do salivate, but not in excess. If food/water is coming back up, then they may be having some crop issues. Keep us posted.

Welcome To BYC

Photos of your cockerels and their poop would be good.

I agree, I would check their crops first thing in the morning before they have had anything to eat/drink. If the crops are not empty, the read the article I have linked to help you determine what you need to do.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What are you feeding your cockerels? Do they have grit?

Chickens do salivate, but not in excess. If food/water is coming back up, then they may be having some crop issues. Keep us posted
Their crops this morning were empty, so far today they are looking good. Currently I am feeding them 24% starter with uniform grit. Which I will be changing soon. I also give them some mealworms, worms, and berries from time to time.
(Inserted is a picture of the two, Taco is the one behind, Duck is the other)
16214444566419125519595040381517.jpg

Cute Cockerels!
Could be the angle of the photo, but looks like Duck's crop is quite prominent. I would continue to monitor the crops for several days to see that they are emptying.

Birds do lounge more during the day especially when the weather is warm. If they are active, eating/drinking, crops emptying, have no lice/mites, then just enjoy them. Monitor them several times a week to keep on top of things.

This was also right after Duck was done eating. I felt it again earlier than that had it seemed to be empty. I will check again tonight and will update tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom