i havent gotten an egg from my easter egger in 3 months!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boykin2010, Dec 17, 2010.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    she was an awesome layer until about october 1. then she decided to take a vacation and not lay and i have yet to get an egg from her and it is December 17! is there something wrong with her? has anyone else experienced this?

2. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    She could be moulting which is perfectly normal at this time of year. Most hens moult around October, some earlier or even later. They will stop laying during the moult atleast until they get their feathers back. How old is she?

3. freezefamilyfarm

freezefamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    It's been about 2 months for mine. Not sure if its moulting or just the weather. I went from 5 green eggs a week to zero. [​IMG]

4. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    my EE is moulting now....and so is my Cuckoo Marans. but my Marans was loosing very little feathers....and she stopped laying. i hardly saw ANY feathers laying around....i thought she was being a slacker. but then people here helped me realize that she was indeed moulting. and i DID see feathers, just not very much. my EE is loosing a LOT more feathers. so now i only have 2 outta 4 girls laying. my other EE and BO are still going strong.

5. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    i dont know how old she is because i got her from someone else. she is a pretty good layer since i was getting 4 sometimes 5 eggs a week from her. then one day she just stopped. she is moulting but so far i all see missing is some of tailfeathers. i just thought even though they are moulting they still lay but just not as much. i didnt know they just completely stopped altogether. o well.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She's molting. Chickens do not lay when they molt. They need all their energy to regrow feathers. Some of mine went through a hard molt, some just looked like they lost tail feathers. My EE has just started back up again this week.

You can help the molt along by increasing their protein. Give meat scraps, fish, some people give cat food, Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, etc.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by