I hear cheaps!

NEHorse

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 27, 2012
I don't have an accurate count on what day we are at with these eggs - I gathered them from hens, and they'd been out for a day or two already. Might be a few days between each ones hatching date.

The first one hatched two days ago but unfortunately did not make it.

The second one is making lots of noise now, and has broke the shell. Waiting on pins and needles for it to come out. And hopefully the others are quick to follow! I've candelled, and still have movement from most if not all of them. :)

Sorry the first one didn't make it
hugs.gif
I hope the rest will hatch and thrive! Go to Learning Center forum it will give you lots of reading on how to care for new chicks
pop.gif
while you wait.

Oh, a secondary question. Everything I read says make sure the chicks have fresh water, which you would think was a given... but the first chick died because it got into the water and couldn't get out. I use a chick waterer. So, should I wait a few days before I give them water? The yolk sustains them for two days, right?

The yoke will take care of them for a couple days. When you give them water too soon after they hatch, they may try to get in to it because they lived in water in the egg. I put marbles & seashells in the water feeder for the first few days so they can't get in it and drown. I don't remove marbles until I am sure all of them are drinking well. Teach them to drink by dipping beak of each chick. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom