I hear chirping at day 20, can I go to sleep???

They don't need to eat or drink for the first day after they hatch do they? The feed store was closed by the time my husband passed it. We have some 20% chick grower but no chick starter. I will get that in the AM. I think I will get the waterer in there tonight. Who knows they could want a drink. They are so amazing to watch, nature is wonderous.

They don't need to eat or drink anything, but often want to.

If I don't have chick starter (and today is day 21 for my broody and I don't have any chick starter) I roast some bread in the oven and crush it with a pestle and mortar. I also crush rusks or biscuits to tide them over until I have the proper stuff. Never had a problem with this strategy.

sandie

How many days do you wait after the first babies hatch to give up on the others? I have only had 4 hatch out of 11. One other has a slight crack but it has had the same crack for days. I hate to "give up". The fourth hatched this morning.

About two days. Constant opening of the incubator to check does more harm than good, it messes up the humidity levels and the inner membrane is tougher to break through.

Back
Top Bottom