I hear you knocking . . . .

Quote:
Oh yes, they are quiet as little meeces - NOT! We have 11 girls and one boy named Lucky, so when they get worked up it is LOUD. Mrs. Wiffle, the Cayuga, is the spokesduck. She was our first duck and the oldest, so she's in charge. But the Golden Hybrid 300s are a close second in line for volume. These are my first ducks so i didn't know that only the girls quack, while the boys have a raspy voice.

Also because i'm new to ducks, what does BEI stand for?

BEI is Black East Indies. It looks like a small version of a cayuga.

and ducklover1 if she didn't like your ducks she will definitely not like peacocks. Tell her to get on and look up there calls on youtube, try walking out to your barn at night and hearing it, scares ya plum to death. Also doesn't take long for neighbors to start complaining, even if there a mile down the road. Also i wouldn't imagine you would get many eggs or other benefits from them.

Last edited:
Thanks, KansasKid. Actually, Ms. Wiffle's first buddy was a BEI (now that i know what that acronym means). i was raising him for a friend. Then when he went to his new home (with girls his own size) i got these other ones. When we had those first two, everyone thought they were the same breed, a mom and her baby.

Golden 300's...loud? Mine is almost silent. Now that darn Black Swede...she LOVES to talk
roll.png

(Both Girls, 2 eggs a day
cool.png
)

I have never been able to get my ducks to eat peas, are you talking about the little english peas? do you buy them frozen and thaw before feeding them?

Quote:
Yup what Katharinad said. I usually just fill a bowl with hot water and dump in some peas. It thaws the peas in like a minute and my ducks LOVE to bob for peas.
tongue.png
They don't like peas nearly as much if they aren't in water.

Quote:
Oh yes, they are quiet as little meeces - NOT! We have 11 girls and one boy named Lucky, so when they get worked up it is LOUD. Mrs. Wiffle, the Cayuga, is the spokesduck. She was our first duck and the oldest, so she's in charge. But the Golden Hybrid 300s are a close second in line for volume. These are my first ducks so i didn't know that only the girls quack, while the boys have a raspy voice.

Also because i'm new to ducks, what does BEI stand for?

lau.gif

i had no idea there were so many different kinds of ducks until i started reading this site six months ago!
i saw a black east indie at chickenstock in lansing michigan and i want one bad!
those black feathers that shine like jewels are so beautiful.
the education i have gotten from these wonderful and helpful people on this site has been priceless.
and the pictures brighten my day!
Mrs. Wiffle is lovely and she should be the spokesduck!
hugs.gif

I dont have any ducks yet, I am living in an apartment now, but my plans are to get a place of my own, and some land to have ducks.
lots and lots of ducks!
maybe chickens, and i am looking at geese too.
love.gif

Beth

Quote:
i love the cresteds, but didn't know until after i got them that they are prone to neurological problems. Three are okay but one little girl, Cindy, arrived small and shaky. She managed to grow up and can eat and forage just fine, but her neck is a bit crooked. And when she gets scared she walks in circles or else falls over and can't get up.

So, what is the decision you are looking to make with your ducks? Are you adding more?

No, My mom is back to the selling the ducks and she wants to get either peacocks or pheasants....... So

If she thinks the ducks make a mess, wait till you have peafowl! The neighbor's peafowl have gotten into my barn several times, tipped over feed cans, pooped all over everything, laid and hid eggs that rotted up in the hay loft...sheesh! NO WAY I'd have them over ducks! Definitely would take the pheasants first, but would still rather have ducks!

Back
Top Bottom