I heard hens in Mexico need rooster to lay eggs!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trunkman, Oct 15, 2010.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    In a conversation with a co-worker who goes to Mexico on a regular basis told me this week that his friend has chickens and says that since the chickens aren't fed layer feed like here in the states they have to have a rooster to be able to lay eggs. Does anyone know if this is true? He also says there are lots more roosters there than here due to that fact.. [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Misinformation.

3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Sounds like a crock of you know what to me.

4. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I don't think so. Chickens are chickens wherever they live.

5. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Yeah that's not true.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:That's probably the biggest BS part of the whole myth there. . . Commercial Layer feed does nothing, really, but give a small amount of calcium, GMO corn and soy, and the SAME nutrients a chicken would get from any other sort of natural diet.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You'd certainly get less eggs if you didn't meet the nutritional needs of the animal. Same with any animal though. Need to be at least somewhat healthy to ovulate.

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    It has to do with the latitude, the further south you go the earth spins faster so hens will get egg bound if they don't have roosters jumping on their backs a dozen or more times a day. This causes the hens to change position in regard to the earth's rotation so the eggs move down the oviducts. Now if you go south of the equator to like Venezuela the same thing happens.

BTW if you believe that I've got a bridge for sale.[​IMG]

9. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Hahahahha, that's what I thought too, judging from all the responses I'm thinking he's wrong... Thanks all. [​IMG]

10. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    In my 48 years, I have heard so many things! My sister one year claimed that ice cubes freeze faster if you fill the cube trays with HOT water............[​IMG]

LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by