I heard peeps this afternoon..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by swheat, Oct 2, 2010.

1. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I was out feeding the peacocks and I heard peeps coming out from under the half blue barrel(muscovy nest)..So I have more babies [​IMG] These will be from black barred girl and dad is blue or white(and quite possibly both..hehehe). I will try to get a pic of them tomorrow if she brings them out. I am not sure how long she will stay on the nest with babies but I would think they will be getting hungry and thirsty by tomorrow. I am hoping to get a blue barred boy to go with my blue bar girl.

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Congrats on the babies I hope you got the colors you were hoping for. [​IMG]

And where are our pictures? [​IMG]

3. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    When I got out there this morning she was up and out with all 14 cuties trailing behind her. I think there are a few blue one in the bunch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Really cute. They do look like there are a few blues in there. Muscovys make such great moms. Congratulations!

5. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    How cute - 14 ducklings that is great!!!

6. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    She is a good mom, there was only one unhatched egg left in the nest.

7. cracking up

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Not only a good mom but a great broody. Must have been a good sitter to have them all hatch so close.

8. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    It is amazing how they can lay that many eggs, and then hatch all of them in the same day or two isn't it. All of those eggs were hers too !

9. cracking up

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    That says a lot about how old the eggs can be and still develop. Our runner was a sloppy broody and let others lay eggs up to a week after she started setting. She would hatch one or two a day. Your mom deserves kudos.

10. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    any of those gonna be for sale, steve? i would still like to have some more solid white ones. looks like there might be a couple in the bunch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by