I hit the chicken lottery!!

TBlevins

Songster
Jun 2, 2021
Southwestern Pennsylvania
So, about a month ago, I spotted the coolest calico feather on the right wing of one of my golden comet babies. (Dip) I’ve been eyeballing the coop and run at least twice a day, hoping beyond hope that I’d find this feather when she molted. Yesterday morning, I saw that feather still in her wing, so I didn’t bother scouring anywhere. Well, last night as I was closing their coop door fir the night, something happened to catch my eye. THERE IS WAS!!! The hubby says I’m weird, but I am truly over the moon to not only find that cool calico feather, but to know WHO it came from and WHERE it was on her!!

Any ideas if a new feather will grow in like this too? Or is my winning lottery streak over?

Attachments

• 856818E6-3178-4807-81B5-438A6789D664.jpeg
    856818E6-3178-4807-81B5-438A6789D664.jpeg
    506.2 KB · Views: 44
So, about a month ago, I spotted the coolest calico feather on the right wing of one of my golden comet babies. (Dip) I’ve been eyeballing the coop and run at least twice a day, hoping beyond hope that I’d find this feather when she molted. Yesterday morning, I saw that feather still in her wing, so I didn’t bother scouring anywhere. Well, last night as I was closing their coop door fir the night, something happened to catch my eye. THERE IS WAS!!! The hubby says I’m weird, but I am truly over the moon to not only find that cool calico feather, but to know WHO it came from and WHERE it was on her!!

Any ideas if a new feather will grow in like this too? Or is my winning lottery streak over?
That is really pretty, I have collected a few nice feathers from my quails when they molt

That's a beautiful feather! Don't know what caused those markings though. I've gotten feathers that looked just like that before, but it was from my Buff Brahma, not my Red Sex Link. Great find!

I know how that is to find a treasure like that! Only my treasures has been rooster combs. I remember one story with my first rooster just after my first winter with chickens. His comb had gotten very bad frostbite. One morning, I spotted my hens all fighting over something. I looked at what they were fighting over, and it was my rooster's comb! I snatched that away from them and I still have that comb, and a couple of other rooster combs, to this day! I got quite the collection now, of feathers, rooster combs, and even a spur, and a strange piece of chicken skin with feathers attached that weirdly fell off my perfectly fine TSC Silkie. :D

That's a beautiful feather! Don't know what caused those markings though. I've gotten feathers that looked just like that before, but it was from my Buff Brahma, not my Red Sex Link. Great find!

I know how that is to find a treasure like that! Only my treasures has been rooster combs. I remember one story with my first rooster just after my first winter with chickens. His comb had gotten very bad frostbite. One morning, I spotted my hens all fighting over something. I looked at what they were fighting over, and it was my rooster's comb! I snatched that away from them and I still have that comb, and a couple of other rooster combs, to this day! I got quite the collection now, of feathers, rooster combs, and even a spur, and a strange piece of chicken skin with feathers attached that weirdly fell off my perfectly fine TSC Silkie. :D
Thank you!! I was (and still am, lol) over the moon!! 😂

A comb?! That is too cool!! But I have so many questions, lol! Mainly - will a comb grow back?

Thank you!! I was (and still am, lol) over the moon!! 😂

A comb?! That is too cool!! But I have so many questions, lol! Mainly - will a comb grow back?
No, the comb won't grow back. :hmm Which is too bad... Though the frostbite actually worked in one of my rooster's favor! It helped him win photo contests! :p

Back
Top Bottom