I hope I don't catch this skunk UPDATE: caught something!!

Chick_a_dee

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Peterborough, ON
I put out the Raccoon trap this evening to catch an especially large raccoon that has been coming around. I looked out on the porch a little while ago to find not one, but TWO skunks out there. Not only that, but the skunks keep going in the raccoon trap. Unfortunately the trap out there literally is a Raccoon trap and I'm afraid he gets in there and he'll be able to turn around and spray. What the heck. I have no luck LOL. Why can't I just trap a raccoon and not a skunk for a too big trap?!

Anyone got ideas on how to off the skunk if he gets trapped? Guns are totally out of the question, seeing as we don't have one. My only other thought is poisoning or drowning BUT its getting close enough to do either.
hmm.png

Last edited:
If you do trap the wrong critter, place an old blanket over the trap and the skunk won't spary.
At least that is what I am told by the state trapper that comes around for bear and mountian lion. He had an easy dozen dead skunk in the backof his truck the last time I saw him and I asked him why they didn't smell. He showed me the cover he puts over the trap and the knive he uses to kill them with. AND THERE WAS NO ODOR.

geez. well i'm sure i can find a blanket do use. I'd be able to use the drowning method then. I thoroughly dislike poisoning because I worry about the cats or chickens.

The skunk set off the trap and we caught him. Unfortunately. Anyway, now he's dispatched but I'm having an even bigger problem. We're down 2 birds in 2 days. We are pretty well convinced this is a raccoon problem as we've seen the prints around the chicken shed. The most recent chicken went missing this morning around 7am. There are feathers out back, this girl fought. The others didn't. I just don't know what to do anymore. I can't put down poison, we have cats. I can set the trap but one of the 2 skunks that was around last night (they're littermates I believe) didn't get caught, so I'm thinking we'll keep catching skunks in the trap.

We're down to 3 chickens out of 5 now, and 2 ducks.... anyone else have ideas?

Oh, I'm so sorry about your losses
sad.png
I know how hard it is.
One question though:

Is your coop not strong enough to keep out predators?

We are surrounded by wetlands with raccoons, foxes, and coyotes all after our chickens, but we have never had a loss due to predators because we planned for it and we got a strong coop that nothing could break into. The wire/brick is dug down about 1 and a half feet! Maybe you could look into that?

Good luck!
big_smile.png

Our coop is certainly strong enough. The chickens are let out around 7am in the summer and free range. We cannot sink posts for any type of run due to our rocky terrain (also makes it impossible for animals to dig in, thankfully). It's been SO SO SO hot here lately that we've been letting them out early before they boil alive in their own coop. Obviously after they were let out a raccoon got one of them. The others I found hiding under the side porch just now, 3 of them left. My concern is that a) i'm broke as can be right now, and b) i'm afraid i'm just going to keep catching stupid skunks which are NOT the ones killing the chickens. i'm fairly convinced of that. the skunks are tiny, babies, and there has been a rather large raccoon around. the good thing is both animals love catfood so if i put it in the trap i'm guaranteed to catch something its just i have a raccoon trap not a skunk trap.

Also, tie a rope to the trap, it's good to have something to drag it with at times, and especially with a skunk. The blanket idea is a good one... they do run out of scent after a while but not soon enough. Not sure about killing it for you, I live where guns are ok. Sorry not to be of more help. I wouldn't be great with the whole drowning thing either... it's tough.

I'm not concerned about drowning at all. We use a big stock tank for it down at the barn and wrap the trap in blankets, I'm just so frustrated catching skunks. I just want to catch the darn raccoon already. Guns are okay here, you need a licence as far as I know but my family will not have or tolerate guns and my neighbour, while he REALLY enjoys shooting things cannot be here all the time. It's hay season. They just put poison out, but we have at least 3 feral barn cats to think about that we do care for including the indoor/outdoor cat of ours and a pregnant cat (who is coming in tonight, going to give birth soon!).

Its worse because we're losing them during the day, none at night. Its been so hot that the raccoons and skunks and I can't even explain how many foxes I've seen out and about today are coming out to find a quick and easy meal.

WOOT I think we just trapped a Raccoon! I set the trap by the chicken shed with some cat food in it. A raccoon showed up on the front porch just as the sun was going down to drink the electrolyte water we leave out for the cats (LOL, thats a little funny). He went over to check out the trap after deciding there was nothing tastey on the porch. He was picking bits of kibble out of the cage without going in so I figured it was a lost cause but while I was watching reruns of Vampire Diaries I heard the trap snap and went upstairs so I could get a better look (I have the truck pointed at it so I can just unlock the truck to shine light on it). There is something large in the trap and I swear I saw a raccoon tail. I'm going to keep setting it every night.

Ha, just looked outside and it looks like we're going to have one stinky raccoon. The sibling of the skunk we caught last night was back and was spraying/tormenting the raccoon LOL. I'll have to set the trap for him tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom