I hope this is the right place to share. Had a super crazy chicken week.

CallMeMealworm

Songster
Jun 16, 2020
Hi,
I know everyone is having a bad time with wild fires and hurricanes and tornadoes.

We had an "E0" tornado here yesterday. I lost two chickens but they came home today, so technically I didn't lose anyone.

Good luck to all you all in CA.

Last week, I had a predator get two birds. One just disappeared, but the other one we found very quickly. The chick was taken in broad daylight, 10 feet from the garage and we were out and busy that day due to the nice weather.

We're thinking about fencing in the pasture and giving them a quarter acre to roam.

Winter is approaching and we need to get moving on the project but it's not the only thing I have to do.

What would you all recommend regarding fencing for such a large area?

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_141308.jpg
    IMG_20200905_141308.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 5
Hi,
I know everyone is having a bad time with wild fires and hurricanes and tornadoes.

We had an "E0" tornado here yesterday. I lost two chickens but they came home today, so technically I didn't lose anyone.

Good luck to all you all in CA.

Last week, I had a predator get two birds. One just disappeared, but the other one we found very quickly. The chick was taken in broad daylight, 10 feet from the garage and we were out and busy that day due to the nice weather.

We're thinking about fencing in the pasture and giving them a quarter acre to roam.

Winter is approaching and we need to get moving on the project but it's not the only thing I have to do.

What would you all recommend regarding fencing for such a large area?
A quarter acre is a pretty big area, especially for attacks from above. It may be cost prohibitive to do that much secure fencing from all predators unless you're going to post a guard. I think it might be better to get rid of the predator.

Do you have a secure run at all?

A quarter acre is a pretty big area, especially for attacks from above. It may be cost prohibitive to do that much secure fencing from all predators unless you're going to post a guard.
True Dat.
Wonders what predators @NewToChickenz are protecting against?

Are you in CA too.......get much snow?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1599655051864.png

Do you have a secure run at all?

True Dat.
Wonders what predators @NewToChickenz are protecting against?

Are you in CA too.......get much snow?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2325970
Thank you! I'm in Ohio!

Back
Top Bottom