I installed this automatic coop door a few months ago

Vacman

Chirping
Dec 25, 2020
Cadillac, MI
Up until a few months ago, I was manually opening and closing the chicken coop door. The main drawback is that I wouldn't get out there at daybreak and the hens would have to stay in the coop until I opened the door. I searched and found several automatic door openers on Amazon and elsewhere. I discarded those that used strings to open the doors as I felt those doors could be lifted by invaders to enter the coop. I settled on this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0828CZVL7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It has a screw jack to open and close the door. I didn't want to constantly have to change a timer as the days grew longer and shorter so I got the model with the light sensor. Installation was a breeze and it fit my coop opening perfectly after the addition of a wood strip under the door to eliminate a gap. This requires AC power so it won't work for everyone and many would need a solar-powered door. How does it work? Perfectly with only one glitch the first day as it didn't open all the way. How dependable is it? So far, so good, but mine is protected as I have a 12' X 18' hoop house with clear plastic over my chicken coop. Can't say what would happen if exposed to the elements like we have here in Northern MI. But, for $125, it was a bargain for me.

automatic coop door is a no brainer in my mind...along with roll outs...water heaters...etc. i want to be able to leave and go skiing and not need to find somebody to watch my chickens. from this forum, i added heated seedling mats to the roll outs and a hog feeder to hold 200 lbs of chicken feed. this being said, when i’m home i go out there everyday to check on them...but when i’m gone, they’ve got 100 gallons of heated water, 200 lbs of feed and the roll outs can hold 200 eggs. they never go more than a few days before somebody in my family stops by to pick up eggs.

automatic coop door is a no brainer in my mind...along with roll outs...water heaters...etc. i want to be able to leave and go skiing and not need to find somebody to watch my chickens. from this forum, i added heated seedling mats to the roll outs and a hog feeder to hold 200 lbs of chicken feed. this being said, when i’m home i go out there everyday to check on them...but when i’m gone, they’ve got 100 gallons of heated water, 200 lbs of feed and the roll outs can hold 200 eggs. they never go more than a few days before somebody in my family stops by to pick up eggs.
Do they have a secured run? Or do you trust them to put themselves to sleep?

Well, I'm out there every day with my birds, but the auto coop door allows me more time in the morning to do other things without having to rush out there first thing. I have 2 gallons of heated water and a large homemade garbage pail feeder which holds 100 lbs of organic pellets....but what's a roll out? I can imagine what it is, but can you describe it? And our eggs would freeze in the winter. How do you prevent that?

Do they have a secured run? Or do you trust them to put themselves to sleep?
they have a pretty large fenced run...but they all go inside when the sun starts to set. i have the door set to close 45 min after it’s dark and it opens at 9 am. knock on wood, i’ve never had any of them not go back in the coop at night.

What’s a “ Rollout”
nesting box where the eggs roll out of reach from the hen. eliminates having to go into the actual coop and they generally hold several days worth of eggs depending on the size and the size of your flock. mine will supposedly hold 200 eggs but it’s prob never had more than 25-30 in it. family/friends are always stopping by to get eggs. i have certain days of the week that people stop by and go in the coop and get eggs. we probably go through 30 eggs a week and the rest go to other people.

Up until a few months ago, I was manually opening and closing the chicken coop door. The main drawback is that I wouldn't get out there at daybreak and the hens would have to stay in the coop until I opened the door. I searched and found several automatic door openers on Amazon and elsewhere. I discarded those that used strings to open the doors as I felt those doors could be lifted by invaders to enter the coop. I settled on this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0828CZVL7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It has a screw jack to open and close the door. I didn't want to constantly have to change a timer as the days grew longer and shorter so I got the model with the light sensor. Installation was a breeze and it fit my coop opening perfectly after the addition of a wood strip under the door to eliminate a gap. This requires AC power so it won't work for everyone and many would need a solar-powered door. How does it work? Perfectly with only one glitch the first day as it didn't open all the way. How dependable is it? So far, so good, but mine is protected as I have a 12' X 18' hoop house with clear plastic over my chicken coop. Can't say what would happen if exposed to the elements like we have here in Northern MI. But, for $125, it was a bargain for me.
How has it held up so far? I’m looking into getting the larger one (Same brand) that is big enough for geese.

How has it held up so far? I’m looking into getting the larger one (Same brand) that is big enough for geese.
It's been super. Remember that mine is under a plastic covered hoop house so the weather doesn't touch it, but it's been fantastic and reliable. I can't see any issue that would develop if it were exposed to the elements (other than freezing rain like in Texas this week, of course).

Back
Top Bottom