I interrupted a layer -- question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krissteff, Aug 27, 2011.

1. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    I accidentally interrupted one of my laying hens when she was in the box about to lay. She got off the nest and joined the others for a treat without laying the egg, and when I just went to check a few hours later, there's still no egg.

Is this unusual?

This happened once before with another chicken, but after she got up off the nest and had a treat, she went back to the nest and popped out the egg.
    I'm perpelexed why my leghorn hasn't gone ahead and resumed her egg laying for the day.
    [​IMG]

2. Babybella1111

Babybella1111 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    Mine have done this as well! She probably found something more exciting to do! [​IMG] It' s got to come out sometime!

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Maybe she laid it somewhere else?

4. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    Quote:I just went and checked in, around, and under everything! Still no egg! But now she's working on cleaning off a corn cob, so it might be a while longer [​IMG]

I can't pee in close proximity to others in a public restroom. My mom called it a "shy kidney." So maybe little Petra has a shy cloaca. [​IMG]

5. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I've also had this happen, my girl ended up laying the egg a few hours later- so keep checking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by