I just bought a butternut squash - what do I do with it?

Slice it in half...scoop out the seeds..(give the seeds to the chickens)
put the squash on a baking sheet..slather butter and brown sugar and maple syrup over it...bake at 350 degrees until fork tender.(about 40 minutes)..keep basting it with the butter/sugar mixture..then at the end of baking..top it with marshmallows and let the mallows melt and get a little brown...YUM!

I don't think you have a butternut squash, they are round and don't have necks. Sounds like you have either a summer squash or possibly a winter squash, is it bulbous on one end?

Anyway I would slice thin and marinate in garlic, a little olive oil, onion powder and any seasonings you like then grill for a short time on each side, or put in broiler but keep a watch on it and pull out when edges are browning.

Great side dish.

Now if it was butternut I would slice in half, scoop out seeds and add butter, maple syrup, some brown sugar and cinnamon and bake until fork goes easily through flesh and most of butter sugar mix has cooked into it.

You could have spaghetti squash, can you post a pic lol

Quote:
great minds think alike
lol.png

I knew I asked at the right place.
Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm going to try several.
The squash looks like this but many in the bin had longer necks.

5259_butternutsquash.jpg

Peel it and slice it into wedges toss with sliced apple wedges and drizzle with honey or maple syrup and a little brown sugar top with a little bit of butter and bake at 425 till soft and yummy - enjoy!
You can also boil it and then mash it up like sweet potatoes with brown sugar! Yummy

Cut it in 1/2, remove the seeds and guts and throw it in a roasting pan with carrots, onion, garlic and chicken broth. Put a pat of butter and a squirt of syrup in the center of the squash. Roast it for about an hour at 350. Them scrap the squash out and put it with the rest of the stuff in a food processor or blender until smooth. Pour it all into a pan and add some cream or 1/2 & 1/2 for a few minutes. Mmmmmmm, yummy soup
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom