I just bought a Meat Pig!

HI ALL! Thanks for the incouragement. We ALWAYS had a Sty full of pigs and piglets growing up, we did our own catorating (SP?) and butching. I can't tell you how many hundreds of pounds of hog and deer meat I ground up on our old SS crank grinder. I bet I had the strongest Arm of any girl in my elementary school! LOL So next to dogs, and chickens Hogs are the next thing I have the most experience with. I hope by February at the lastest this little girl will be strung up by her nose. My dad is going to come and help of course. He can dress and gut a hog in 15 min or less. I'm thinking that she will be Plenty big enough by then, Maybe before. I would say she is about 35-40lbs right now and I would love her to go 225-250. Growing up we had all different kinds of Hogs, Hamshire, LandRace, Spotted river hogs, U name it. I had a Landrace Sow hog that I raised from a tiny baby. She was all Pink so I named her Babe. When we finally butchered her she was almost 800lbs before dress! She was a BIG girl.

Enjoy! My husband and I raise pigs in the summers... I love spring time and going to buy the little piglets! We did 7 this year, and I think next year we're shooting for 12, so we'll have to increase the pen size before we get the next batch... YUMMY!!!

You're not a farm unless you have a pig.
tongue.png

p.s. I think all pigs are meat pigs... unless you're planning to get into swine dairy.
lol.png

Quote:
Greyfield,

As usual I agree with your perspective 100%. Just had to throw that tidbit of info in the subject line for those more sensitive souls who do not wish to read about the rest of us butchering our animals for the livlihood of our families. I'm not ashamed to say, every mouth Im putting food into must be putting food back into mine in some way, aside from my child and future children of course. But thats how I was raised.

Quote:
Greyfield,

As usual I agree with your perspective 100%. Just had to throw that tidbit of info in the subject line for those more sensitive souls who do not wish to read about the rest of us butchering our animals for the livlihood of our families. I'm not ashamed to say, every mouth Im putting food into must be putting food back into mine in some way, aside from my child and future children of course. But thats how I was raised.

amen and pass the potatoes! ooh, and throw a pork chop on there...

Back
Top Bottom