I just broke a broody a few weeks ago, now I have another sad non momma

funnyfoshay

Songster
Apr 12, 2018
she is trying to sleep in the same nesting box the other girl did.

When i picked her up to move her to the roost she drops like a rock to the ground and sets there ;(.

So I put her in chicken jail (dog crate). Feels so mean but it worked so great last time I don't want to screw around.

she is trying to sleep in the same nesting box the other girl did.

When i picked her up to move her to the roost she drops like a rock to the ground and sets there ;(.

So I put her in chicken jail (dog crate). Feels so mean but it worked so great last time I don't want to screw around.
Welcome to broody hell! :he

Listen... there is absolutely nothing mean about breaking a broody if you don't have the space, means, or desire for additions to your flock. You are doing the right thing for them and for you... and that's key! ;)

If you let her set and lose condition knowing nothing will hatch or that hatching isn't in the best interest of your flock... now that would be mean.

Some hens will take longer to break than others... but by not screwing around (as you put it) you will reduce the amount of time to the minimum... usually 3 days. Some hens will be fine and only repeat their broody cycle once per year if you are lucky. Others have been broody every third egg EVEN after being allowed to hatch and raise a brood. And many will go a couple times per year.

It's true... they do become proud and happy mama's! :love

But maybe you can plan for some additions in the future... I like to adopt a couple feed store pullets to get fresh layers before the older gals start to molt each year, which also helps avoid roosters more than hatching for those who don't want to deal with that and I get to try new breeds that way.

Ultimately.. I have had to rehome some hens that were to broody for me to where they could be better appreciated. Broody's aren't much fun most the time as far as pets go.

I use the breaker at night... but just another pasture during the day.. or I built an open bottom pen and they can pace the grass but not get to the nest.. works just as well but no day time wire. One of my large fowl hens took 10 hole days in the wire bottom, which is what inspired the open bottom pen.

Stay strong! :fl :hugs

Oh honey, she isn't sad she is crazy.
I feel a little bad about breaking them but somebody will eventually get lice and I remember why it has to be done.
They're just so susceptible to pretty much everything when they have baby brain the sooner it ends the better.
I'm pretty sure you already know she isn't working on emotion just hormones. :)

You've obviously been to mine too then. :gig
The butt on the right is Lulu, broody queen and lice machine.
That is a lot of nitpicking.
20190602_203157.jpg

I love your answer. I especially like your "signature" about sanity and chickens. Feels like you have been to my house.

Last edited:
Oh honey, she isn't sad she is crazy.
I feel a little bad about breaking them but somebody will eventually get lice and I remember why it has to be done.
They're just so susceptible to pretty much everything when they have baby brain the sooner it ends the better.
I'm pretty sure you already know she isn't working on emotion just hormones. :)
:gigLove all this^^^^

...except, it won't make them get lice, but the lice(or mites) sure can get bad when they are setting.

You're totally right it won't make the lice but I swear they can hear a broody butt hit the nest here.
I don't see lice any other time during the year Lulu always first broody and biggest butt of course never fails to show me a few....million.:rolleyes:
:gigLove all this^^^^

...except, it won't make them get lice, but the lice(or mites) sure can get bad when they are setting.

Back
Top Bottom