I just can't stand it!!

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
What are we supposed to say when someone comes on and posts that a predator be it dog, fox, weasel or coon got in and killed their birds AGAIN?? What are we supposed to say?

It's happened again on another threat and I'm at a loss as to what to say. If I say what I think people get all "you're being judgmental". You bet your sweet bippy I am! I'm sick and tired of folks who expect me to go "aawww that's to bad" when they've failed to take proper precaution to protect their poor chickens.

This is what Alan Holtman of the Practical Poultry magazine has to say.

"THE FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPT THAT ALL CHICKEN KEEPERS MUST REMEMBER IS THAT YOU ARE TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE WELFARE OF YOUR BIRDS, ALL DAY, EVERYDAY, WHATEVER THE WEATHER"

From where I sit that includes predators too.

Oh and these are not new chicken owners these are people who have been on this forum for some time.

I'm a bad person for saying something? Sometimes calling someone on the carpet is what it takes to save the lives of poor defenseless chickens.

I love this forum and I love most of the folks who are here. I offer blurbs from periodicals that I know some can't afford to HELP them. Not to show off how much I know. Much of what I do know I've learned from this Forum since the day I got chicks and needed help and found it.

Certainly we can't protect against all attacks but Lord have mercy when you know there is a problem DO SOMETHING. Even if it means sleeping in the coop. At least until you've made the necessary fixed to keep your birds safe.

Otherwise please, please, please give up keeping chickens.

If you "judge" me for being mean for writing then you're just being "judgmental".

Yours truly,

Rancher

Why do we treat our birds any different than other animals? Is it because they're so easy to acquire?

Just today another person posted that a predator took her rooster AND has been taking birds right along!!

Then says they're thinking of hatching more?

If someone were neglectful of a house full of cats or dogs we'd all be going "isn't that awful? They should go to jail". But let someone repeatedly let their chickens become prey and we're supposed to be sympathetic? It's wrong.

This forum is here to help us to create a healthy and safe environment for our chickens. Not let them get picked off one by one or an entire flock in one attack as some are doing.

Sorry but yes, I feel very strong about this.
old.gif

I understand your feelings, and to an extent agree. However, I can also sympathize with someone who has lost a chicken to predators. We let our chickens free range during the day and lost one of our hens to a minx. Didn't even know this area had minx. Last year we lost a rooster and two hens to eagles, within a few minutes of each other. Eagles are not something we normally see around here. Usually our biggest issues are hawks and snakes, mainly for chicks, not full grown chickens. Our coop and run on the other hand is very secure against predators. I have some friends and relatives that tend to build cheap, insecure coops and I get upset when they lose chickens that I have given them because they don't listen regarding how to secure it. I understand not having the money, but if you're going to have them, then i don't feel it's optional to take care of them correctly. This doesn't mean I'm willing to keep them locked up all the time though, to me they needed to be allowed out, just like I wouldn't keep my dog on a chain.

Okay, I just have to ad this part, not to poke the hornets nest or anything, but, we also lose some to two legged predators, cause we like chicken too
1f609.png

Last edited:
I understand your feelings, and to an extent agree. However, I can also sympathize with someone who has lost a chicken to predators. We let our chickens free range during the day and lost one of our hens to a minx. Didn't even know this area had minx. Last year we lost a rooster and two hens to eagles, within a few minutes of each other. Eagles are not something we normally see around here. Usually our biggest issues are hawks and snakes, mainly for chicks, not full grown chickens. Our coop and run on the other hand is very secure against predators. I have some friends and relatives that tend to build cheap, insecure coops and I get upset when they lose chickens that I have given them because they don't listen regarding how to secure it. I understand not having the money, but if you're going to have them, then i don't feel it's optional to take care of them correctly. This doesn't mean I'm willing to keep them locked up all the time though, to me they needed to be allowed out, just like I wouldn't keep my dog on a chain.

Okay, I just have to ad this part, not to poke the hornets nest or anything, but, we also lose some to two legged predators, cause we like chicken too
1f609.png

I too can sympathize with folks who've lost birds to predators. I have too. However one has to take precautions and some don't. Perhaps you missed it in my original post. Some post that they've lost a bird after bird after bird. One person lost 70 chicks but not all on the same strike. Another posted that their chickens got killed by their dog, AGAIN.
As for you BertS, I don't follow every thread on this forum, just a couple, but I have read this scenario often and recently again. Offending chicken keepers should not be let off the hook when losing birds to repeated predator strikes.

I have offered some good tip for keeping birds safe. As for your previous post there is nothing funny about letting ones chickens be victimized again and again.

No one should expect or feel sympathy for losing birds if they've not taken precautions. Fact is they should be ashamed to admit it.

I'm sure you don't agree. Perhaps you should follow another thread.

However I might just find someone who will listen to reason and make the necessary changes to deal with their birds in a proper manner. Fact is this forum is to help us learn to be better chicken keepers, not lazy ones.

"Perhaps you missed it in my original post. Some post that they've lost a bird after bird after bird. One person lost 70 chicks but not all on the same strike. Another posted that their chickens got killed by their dog, AGAIN."

Actually I did miss that.

rancher,

while it can seem frustrating, I think honey is better than vinegar, if you would have people heed your advice.

of course we want all of our BYC folks to practice good husbandry with their birds. But the aggressive, in your face attitude you've adopted concerning it in two three threads (one duplicate) could very well put off folks for asking advice, in fear of being humiliated by you.

I've agreed with almost all of your advice, just not the presentation of all of it.

yes, chickens are cheap. yes they are bountiful, and easily aquired, but it's not like these poor chicken care givers are here looking for advice on how to keep their kids safe. In the end, chickens are just chickens, not CHICKENS.

Well isn't this the pot calling the kettle black. Rancher Hicks you accuse others of being judgemental, well you are judgemental yourself. You don't have to subscribe to others chicken keeping methods or agree with how you perceive they value their birds but when you come on here and use words like "negligent" and "lazy", make no mistake about it, you are being judgemental. That's the cool thing though--we are all free to be equally judgemental. But if you dole it out, don't complain if you get it in return.

As for me personally. Yes, I value my chickens' lives less than I value my dogs' lives. If the coop was burning and it was the chickens or the dogs, I'd save the dogs. Heck, I'd probably trample some chickens to get to the dogs. That being said, I take all reasonable precautions to keep my birds safe. But, here's the thing, I get to decide what is reasonable. Your suggestion of sleeping in the coop is not reasonable, IMO. If you want to judge me for that then go ahead and I'll judge you right back (because that's what we do on the internet).

Lastly, I don't recall seeing anyone being all blaise about losing their birds. After all, they must care enough or feel bad enough to want to find a solution since they are posting on the internet. For that, I'll continue to offer them a sympathetic word because I also value the feelings of people trying to do right by their chickens over the chickens.

I suggest getting a fake owl statue. And get a Portable Radio so if the Raccoon hears the Noise, it wont come near the chickens. If you want to catch it, Get a Cage (I will give you a link) and put Tuna in it. You can also get Scarecrows so it will look like people are outside and then you can put the portable Radio on it.

Hope everything goes Well!

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/...E7VzgcO6-VEq_3lRbndF5bxQhdAyHOqXZrxoCdR3w_wcB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom