I just cracked a developing egg?!

wullus

Chirping
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Okay, I was looking at the candling instructions on here (forget how to get there) which shows all the signs of development when candling eggs. One said if it was really speckled, it indicated bacterial contamination. A few of mine aren't that bad (they do have small amounts of it, but are mostly alright) except for one which I just took out of the incubator and cracked open. I noticed all these tiny blood vessels and stuff in this massive white thing.

Did I do the right thing by cracking this open? I know a chick was developing, but would it have gotten contaminated, or never hatched anyway? I hope I didn't just waste that poor little thing's life...

thanks...

Speckled (porous) eggs have higher possibility of contamination. It does not mean they are contaminated.

Forget right or wrong thing, you will be taken over by guilt in no time. Been there and done that.
smile.png

Just be patient and candle them at 7th and 14 th day. If something sticks, then you make the call.

Last edited:
Eggs that appear to have 'freckles' when candling, are porous eggs. They CAN hatch, though they tend to have a bit more trouble keeping bacteria out, and humidity in, however being porous doesn't mean they are contaminated, or have no chance. I never have any trouble hatching porous eggs. Alot of people discard the porous eggs right then and there, so don't feel to bad.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Snap, I just wasted a perfectly good egg. Oh well, its my first hatch :/ still got 4 more in the incubator.

What did I say about feeling guilty
smile.png
. Forget it and enjoy rest of your hatch.
I opened few eggs on day 22nd (should have waited few more days) and found live chicks that later died.
Not a pleasant feeling, but got to move on.

Back
Top Bottom