I Just Don't Get It!!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by happyhens44, Jun 7, 2010.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Ahhhh!! Ok I have reconized my chickens and ducks have runny poop so I thought chickens and ducks poop shouldent be runny. So I bought layers mash and duck scratch. I give them greens like grass or leaves and there poop is still runny. Is there something I'm missing, like a type of mineral? Please respond soon so I can fix it

Thanks

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I know on chicken poop it vary from day to day there was a post some where on here that showed pictures of normal and non normal poop but I can't find it, you might try some yogurt that seems to be something that people use.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    If they eat lots of fresh greens that can make their poop wet. Just having wet poop doesn't mean there is anything wrong. Chickens don't really pee, everything comes out the same hole, so if they eat wet stuff, the poop is wet.

If it is foamy bloody or mucus like, then I might worry.

(Sorry,caught my spelling error.)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    The biggest thing to remember is that both chickens and ducks need balanced nutrition, which isn't offered by scratch grain. Both the ducks and the hens should be on an age-appropriate feed:

Bird Type Age Diet Type Crude Protein (%) Calcium (%) Available Phosphorus (%)

Pullets 0 to 6 weeks Starter 20.0 to 22.0 0.85 to 1.00 0.40 to 0.45
    6 to 14 weeks Grower 16.0 to 18.0 0.80 to 0.95 0.35 to 0.42
    14 to 20 weeks Developer 14.0 to 16.0 0.75 to 0.92 0.30 to 0.38
    Laying > 20 weeks Layer 15.0 to 19.0 3.60 to 4.30 0.32 to 0.45

I'm afraid I don't know precisely the ratios for ducks, but I know that many feed makers make formulas that are good for all poultry, such as Manna-Pro Trip-L-Duty or Purina Flock Raiser.

Scratch should be thought of as the same thing as Twinkies...they love it, but it's not good for them. It's only 8% protein and hasn't any added nutrients. The least a bird should get is 16% protein, regardless of age.

Hope that's helpful!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Why is it forbidden? I've often eaten while viewing it. Enjoying a nice juicy burger and oh look! it's ceceal poo! [​IMG]

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Why is it forbidden? I've often eaten while viewing it. Enjoying a nice juicy burger and oh look! it's ceceal poo! [​IMG]

Just so long as it's not in the room...cecal poo has that awful smell... [​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Just so long as it's not in the room...cecal poo has that awful smell... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And not as a condiment. [​IMG]

e_s_batman...

Could you post a pix.

Imp

9. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    thank you everyone who helped i looked on the poop page and compaired the poops of my chickens and the website and they have..... normal...... sometimes oil and foamy......and rarly ceceal.

doesnt seem bad to me [​IMG]

10. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    i can post pics i guess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by