I Just Don't Know What To Do Please Help!!!

minisambora

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 24, 2011
So here is the deal I have 4 chickens in a chicken coop (I can't let them run around because of HOA) and about a month ago one of my chickens (they are all hens) pecked at another until there was a deep gash in the chicken so I took the sick one and put her in a temporary isolation are to let her heal and I had no clue why the other one was being so ruthless so I read it could be because they are bored and don't have enough space so I built an extension as big as I could and added scratch and hay into their run every day to keep them busy hoping it would fix the problems. Then last night she did the same thing to another one of my chickens and this time both of the chickens had blood on their beaks and so I placed the new injured one in with the old injured one but I don't know what to do. So I get rid of the mean one (she is the only one with full feathers because she has picked on everyone else) or what. I need help because my roommate (who owns the house) says I have to get rid of them but he said I could keep one or two so I need to figure out what is the best thing to do get rid of the mean one and keep the two sick ones or what. Please Help Thansk

I would isolate the bully for a few weeks. Once reintegrated she will be the lowest chicken on the pecking order and that may curb her bad behavior for a while. If her bad behavior persists then she may be the one to find a new home.

Outside of that scenario, I can't offer any advice about which birds to get rid of. That is going to have to be your decision.

Good luck.

That's too bad. Since it sounds like your landlord wants you to downsize, I would keep the sweetest ones and rehome the meanies.

I agree the decision needs to be yours.

Boredom and restricted space are factors in causing picking. Removing the bully for a while might work, but if space and boredom aren't resolved there will be more bickering. Think of how it would be if 4 people had to live together in a single room with no escape. Its possible that nature is doing what nature needs to do - eliminating the weakest will make for more food and space for the others. Your roommate's request to cut down the # of hens may turn out good in the end.

Personally, I would not recommend keeping just 1 hen. Sure, it would likely survive, but she would be happier with a companion, not to mention the warmth of another body at night would be appreciated.

Best of luck to you. Not an easy decision.

Back
Top Bottom