I just found all 26 of my ducks headless!?!?

I can't find the heads anywhere I can't see any holes or places in the wire were an animal could have gotten in what could have got them all
Very sorry for your loss. :hugs

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance.

Raccoon usually take A head off reaching through the wire. That many dead birds all with heads missing sounds like something in the weasel/mink family and they can fit through holes as small as 1 inch. Covering any holes with 1/2 inch hardware cloth is recommended. The weasel type animals go on killing sprees and get anything that moves. Were the bodies stacked in a certain way or anything like that?

The only others I know that go full on spree's would be domestic dog type, (doubt fox or coyote do that but maybe), Doesn't sound like that's a possibility though if they were locked up. Photo of your coop design might be helpful.

Probably too late.. When a tragedy like this happens, we TRY to have the mindfulness to process the meat for the freezer instead of wasting them. Took a LONG time to reach that place though.

Hang in there! :fl

This camera is for these coops. I have other cameras around the coops too.
IMG_20200324_110744.jpg
DSCF0001coopsGC 01.jpg

Very sorry for your loss. :hugs

Adding your general location to your profile can help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance.

Raccoon usually take A head off reaching through the wire. That many dead birds all with heads missing sounds like something in the weasel/mink family and they can fit through holes as small as 1 inch. Covering any holes with 1/2 inch hardware cloth is recommended. The weasel type animals go on killing sprees and get anything that moves. Were the bodies stacked in a certain way or anything like that?

The only others I know that go full on spree's would be domestic dog type, (doubt fox or coyote do that but maybe), Doesn't sound like that's a possibility though if they were locked up. Photo of your coop design might be helpful.

Probably too late.. When a tragedy like this happens, we TRY to have the mindfulness to process the meat for the freezer instead of wasting them. Took a LONG time to reach that place though.

Hang in there! :fl
Thank you and I will add my location and all the bodies were in weird piles all over the coop and with everybody's opinion I'm guessing it was a weasel, Thank you again Annastin:)

That is really sad to hear. Some people do not understand why we hate and get rid of these predators to protect our flock. Such a waste...so sad. I am sorry.:(
THANK YOU!!!! It's sadly so true people scold me when I get rid of these predator's but ask me why didn't I do something to save my flock. Obviously they just know what its like trying to keep a safe and heathy flock, Thank you again:( :)
Folks please remember there is a difference between dispatching a predator and "relocating" one, almost always illegally and inhumanely.

If you are going to trap an animal... dispose of it properly. Yes, I DON'T believe killing all the predators is an appropriate choice... securing your pens and coops is ALWAYS the best FIRST step. Using layers of protection. More predators will move in behind the dead or relocated one... something will ALWAYS be there to take it's place before long. I practice security over dispatching and face most all predators here... but relocating is (almost) NEVER acceptable. I LOVE the wildlife that abounds in the Pacific North West and I LOVE living here. But sometimes dispatching is 100% the correct choice.

Folks please remember there is a difference between dispatching a predator and "relocating" one, almost always illegally and inhumanely.

If you are going to trap an animal... dispose of it properly. Yes, I DON'T believe killing all the predators is an appropriate choice... securing your pens and coops is ALWAYS the best FIRST step. Using layers of protection. More predators will move in behind the dead or relocated one... something will ALWAYS be there to take it's place before long. I practice security over dispatching and face most all predators here... but relocating is (almost) NEVER acceptable. I LOVE the wildlife that abounds in the Pacific North West and I LOVE living here. But sometimes dispatching is 100% the correct choice.
Hey I'm so sorry if what I said ever made you mad or upset this is a website were we all need help each other out and to build each other up. I believe that we should not just kill whatever go's to harm our livestock and I believe that killing is not always the answer. Again I am sooooooo sorry if I ever offended you or made you upset.
Sincerely Annastin☺

Hey I'm so sorry if what I said ever made you mad or upset this is a website were we all need help each other out and to build each other up. I believe that we should not just kill whatever go's to harm our livestock and I believe that killing is not always the answer. Again I am sooooooo sorry if I ever offended you or made you upset.
Sincerely Annastin☺
I don't think you made anyone mad or upset. I believe EggSighted was simply backing up your statement about others giving you grief over the measures some must take to protect their flock. I agree 100% with EggSighted. Security measures first and foremost. Use offense before defense. In some cases, defense is unfortunately neccasary however.

Back
Top Bottom