I just got 25 Coturnix Quail Chicks!!

Brad83

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Bartow, FL
Hi everyone I just bought 25 Coturnix Quail chicks yesterday!!
jumpy.gif
They are soooo cute!!
love.gif
I could watch them all day!
40231_100_6092resize.jpg
40231_100_6065-resize.jpg
40231_100_6076-resize.jpg

This is my first time raising quail, so I am having a lot of fun reading posts on the forum. Thanks everyone for posting all the good info on quail in the forum!
My Grandpa's neighbor has raised quail in the past and he is giving me some advice and is also going to make a cage for me!
Just thought I would share my new additions
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I too just bought some coturnix chicks. But I only bought 8, since I have never owned this type of quail yet. I have 6 goldens, 1 tibeten, and 1 regular brown like yours.

Ive had them for only two weeks. They look like tiny adults now. Im beginning to tell males from females on all but the tibeten. They sure are fun. But they are a bit more messy than the Button Quail that I own.

They are beautiful. You will so enjoy them.

Wouldn't it be better to put paper towels down over your newspaper for better traction to prevent splay legs? And if your water tray is very deep or wide put marbles or something like that in there to prevent drowning or them getting wet and chilled. My last bunch for some reason liked to run through the water.

Best of luck with your babies.

Quote:
I was thinking the same things! Coturnix chicks and adults as well, tend to run to the edge of their world and do a circle, so don't put water or anything else in their way or you get wet chicks and/or poo-food.

Best of luck as well

Quote:
I was thinking the same things! Coturnix chicks and adults as well, tend to run to the edge of their world and do a circle, so don't put water or anything else in their way or you get wet chicks and/or poo-food.

Best of luck as well

Thanks for all the tips.
big_smile.png
I never thought about the paper towels, you can tell I am new at this. The person I bought them from just had newspaper so I copied their set up. The water tray is a little wide but the water is not deep at all they have been steping in it though, looking for marbles now...
I will move the water & food away from the sides, now that you mention it I have noticed the running the edge if the box lol.
big_smile.png

Thanks everyone!

For my baby quail I use the no slip shelf liner. Its kind of like rubber. And it is easy to wash and reuse. But make sure you have more than one. It takes a bit to dry. And you dont want to put it back in wet.

I have them in a simple box until they are about 4 days old then I move them into a bigger brooder with the first layer towels, second layer paper towels, then the third layer wood shaving.

P.S.

Congrats on your chicks

Back
Top Bottom